From: <A
title=rjv@xxxxxxxxxx href="mailto:rjv@xxxxxxxxxx";>Ralph Volpe
To: <A title=realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
href="mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: [RT] The day after
Jean Jacques:
Your comments about technology make no sense! The problem is not the
development of technology but the misdirected liberals that stymie free
societies from protecting themselves today. These are people who fail to
properly  identify problems and; therefore, can't execute appropriate
solutions. Technology should not have to be defended but let me remind you that
all of the wondrous things we enjoy today are do to technology and all
tomorrow's problems will be solved by new technological innovations. Those who
defame technology or attempt to destroy it (as in the Trader Center attacks) are
those who fail to grasp its true significance or have some other sinister
agenda.
The problem in the world is not with technology but with monsters that are
somehow considered part of humanity. It's our lack of determination to
efficiently and deftly deal with aberrant individuals that's the problem. There
are simply too many people that would rather find excuses for inaction. You
sound like you may be French, and if you are, then you should reflect back on
the German buildup and ultimate invasion of France. It was not technology that
created that horrible point in time, it was failed societies that ignored the
dangers of a monster in their neighbor. It was a lack of resolve, and I hope
America can demonstrate the courage and leadership the world needs to preserve
our current values in the face of these destructive forces.
As for Star Wars, I am one that hopes it is developed as quickly as possible.
No, it wouldn't have stopped this latest tragedy, but it would remove the fear
of greater ones and not simply the attack on one center. As yesterday's attack
proves, America is the target of these monsters because we are the world
leaders. Therefore, those outside of this county shouldn't pooh pooh America's
desire to defend itself, and thereby defend all others who value the financial
and political freedoms most of the world currently enjoys.
Yes, the terrorists may have had smuggled weapons onboard those planes but
that's no reason to stop developing technology. Free nations have to be more
committed and dedicated to prevent such acts, and I think  a collective
spirit is developing to make that a reality. And for you to criticize the
building of large office complexes is stupid. Would you have also thought that
leaving our caves was an unnecessary step due to disruptive and abusive
technology? Yes, the buildings concentrated people, but there are very good
reasons for such complexes and I'm not going to lecture you like I would my
grandsons. The fault wasn't the concept or technology -- it was the result of
monsters that should have been eradicated long ago but we failed to assess their
true danger. I think that period is now over. Pearl Harbor taught us one lesson,
this is teaching America another one.
As for this hurting companies developing the technology of tomorrow, you must
be really young. Think back to World War II. Thank goodness the free nations had
the desire and will to turn their technologies into military machines that
ultimately destroyed the Axis powers -- and freed France from occupation.
Preparing for defense, and I hope offense in this case, doesn't thwart
technology, it serves to stimulate it.
Ralph
Jean Jacques Chenier wrote:

  The day after. <FONT
  face=Arial>While we mourn our friends, acquaintances and
  colleagues our duty is to understand what will be the impact of yesterday?s
  tragedy on the financial markets. This major event could mark a shift away
  from America?s heavy reliance on technology and have tremendous consequences
  on the way America function on the way. <FONT
  size=-1>Firstly the failure of American intelligence is obvious. American
  intelligence relies heavily on signals intelligence (SIGINT). Signals
  intelligence includes any intelligence collected from intercepted
  communications, such as microwave, landlines secret writing, or
  electromagnetic emanations (e.g., foreign radar signals or telemetry from an
  object of intelligence interest.)   This strategy has clearly shown
  its limits in fighting terrorism, which is likely to be the war of the
  future. Secondly, the ?Star War?
  pet project of president Bush has been proved today to be a dream that would
  be unable to protect the American population from terrorists attacks. Again
  high tech and huge amount of taxpayers? money is of little help to fight
  determined terrorist. Thirdly, we
  all go through metal detectors and X-Ray machines before boarding aircrafts.
  Yet fanatics have been able to smuggle weapons in order to highjack several
  airplanes. As for the World Trade
  center itself, it may look as another failure of technology. It was planned to
  stand a 707 crash. The fact that the World Trade Center has been targeted
  twice is no coincidence. To gather so many people in the same place was an
  accident waiting to happen. The fact that the technology did exist to build it
  should not have been a reason good enough to do it. Again there was a huge
  amount of money spent and a naive belief in technology. <FONT
  face=Arial>Yesterday?s tragedy may lead the American people to
  reassess its belief in technology. <FONT
  size=-1>A very possible consequence of yesterday?s horror may be a continuous
  slide on the technology laden Nasdaq index. All the stock indices will suffer
  , as whole sectors of the economy will be hurt: financial services of course
  (some of them head-quartered in the World Trade Center, other had their back
  offices), airlines, hotels etc. but the Nasdaq is likely to suffer the most.
  In last week?s newsletter (see our web site <A
  href="http://www.alterama.com";>http://www.alterama.com) we were
  forecasting a drop of the S&P500 to 930, an objective that we might reach
  sooner than we thought. As for the Nasdaq 100, we reiterate the objective of
  1,100 that we stated several times in 2001. <FONT
  face=Arial>Jean Jacques Chenier <FONT
  face=Arial>Alternative Asset Management, Inc.
  Tel: 646 840 0385 <FONT
  face=Arial>E-mail: <A
  href="mailto:JChenier@xxxxxxxxxxxx";>JChenier@xxxxxxxxxxxxTo
to:realtraders-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour use