money management

Now that the subject of money management has come up, I have a question for
those that may know. I have read several authors on the subject, but I
still don't get it. I understand risk management (risking a small % of ones
trading account on each trade), which I practice. What I don't get is money
management by position sizing using optimal f or some other formula when
that would violate risk management. How are these two ideas coordinated, or
do I miss the concept altogether? Terry