Re: First a "freebie" then open your wallet!

Robert,

I don't use stops.  I used to be very vocal about the "need" to use them.
Over the years, I've changed my mind.  I don't even want to get into a
discussion about it (I've heard it all and even contributed to the "other
side of the argument").  Nobody should even think of approaching these
markets unless they are well capitalized.  Also, things go a lot better with
diversification.  Drawdowns ALWAYS occur, no matter what your approach may
be.  One should spin their Optimal F's and money management software on the
numbers and decide if "any" approach suits your "risk to reward" fantasies.

So, rule #1:  start with adequate funds.
Rule #2:  diversify among as many markets as you can.
Rule #3:  try to forget the propaganda about "stops" that you've been fed
your whole trading life

This approach is not for the undercapitalized, nor is it for the faint of
heart.  Each mechanical approach has its own Achilles heal.  Some traders
will scream that because of the "no-stop" rule that this is not a credible
approach.  Who am I to argue?
Anyone trading a "Mini S&P" needs a minimum of $25,000 to safely trade this
approach.  To segregate less than that to trade this system would be very
foolish.  Also, please understand: my clients that trade the S&P "do not"
use this BB Histogram to position themselves.  I have a number of approaches
that I share with my traders that I will not make public.  Each approach
shows a much greater return than what can be realized with the BB Histo
formula.

I wish I had "one stinkin' dollar" for every time I have called a
"direction" properly...only to be stopped out by a tick or two and then
watched as the market appreciated/depreciated in the direction of my
technical work.  Stops have cost me more money than drawdowns (period).
What I do is rather simplistic: momentum oscillators, averaging positions,
and no stops.  I totally understand the risks and at times it has caused me
to sacrifice a bit of sleep.  Both my proprietary approaches have performed
above the 80% level during 1999 and applying "fail-safe" stops (in an effort
to improve the profitability) has not improved the winning percentage or the
bottom line.  Recently, I've allowed "Dr. Ag-Econ" and "Mr. MBA" to try to
improve on the approaches by applying any safety nets they can conjure.  So
far, the phone is not ringing off the hook with suggestions about how to
increase the productivity.

Most importantly:  If trading with no stops makes you nervous...DON'T.
Everyone needs to feel comfortable with trading.  Secondly, my opinions,
approaches, and posts are to stimulate "mechanical system" discussions.
Take the formula as a starting point and improve on the approach.  Then, try
sharing some of your improvements.  A large part of my success has been due
to the "sharing" of ideas and formulas on this and other forums.  Synergy
works!

Steve Karnish
Cedar Creek Trading
http://www.abbracadabra.com/cybercast/