Re: Support = required

Hi Ton,

"A.J. Maas" wrote:

> 2. PowerBASIC ill-logic poorly developped "programming language" just
>     turns anyone right off. Even off attempting to learn its heavy under-developped
>     "systamatics" for starters, eg for anyone who is willing to spend his valuable
>     time in yet again "learning yet another 'foreign' language" (where your formula
>     language can also be considdered to be a "foreign" language).

This is mainly intended for third party software developers and you are right, most users who
want more language power will not take the time and extra expense to learn C, Pascal, PB, or
whatever.  The diehards might, but diehards are few and far between.  Hopefully this does not
mean that Equis has done all it is going to do with Metastock Language?  Say it ain't so!  But
all is not lost as I imagine there will be kind diehard souls who will  _freely_  share their
Add-ons, just like is done with Metastock Language code now.

> Since introduction of the new 7.0 -Pro version I cannot figure out what is realy
> a driving force for anyone to upgrade from 6.52. It is an upgrade, in that some
> "by many not wanted/useless to the majority of users" features have been added.

It's true that the language is not more powerful and the System Tester wasn't touched, but I
believe there ARE good reasons to upgrade to 7.0.  Even though I experienced a troublesome
upgrade installation, and am currently awaiting a patch (or 7.01?) to fix some bugs, I am very
happy with the new features in this upgrade. Most problems I experienced were basically minor,
although at the time drove me INSANE.  I do still have a price bar compression problem that
was not present in 6.52, however two traders that I spoke with do not seem to have this
problem.  Anyway, that is not a problem for me since I do not use compressed data to create
price bars, however I DO want to start using compressed data to take best advantage of
DataOnDemand and Refresh. Even with these glitches I chose NOT to go back to 6.52 (even though
it was tempting early on) simply because A) my trading isn't impeded and B) I LIKE the new
features too much to go back.  Of course the main thing I wanted to see improved was the
System Tester, but unfortunately it wasn't touched.  Last year(?) Equis posted to this list a
request for suggestions on how to improve it, but alas......
Still, in my opinion it is definitely worth the $50 upgrade price for the EOD version, however
your mileage may vary.  Even though I think $200 is a bit pricey for upgrading MSPro, I would
do it again.  I'm not suggesting everybody should upgrade, just stating that I think it's
worth it.

Some new features that I like:

DataOnDemand and Refresh- MSPro only.......now I don't have to bug my friends for data if I go
down, and more importantly they don't have to bug ME.  ;-)

Explorations on exploration results- (Ok, maybe *I* don't need this or use it but it seemed to
be THE most requested feature, so Equis definitely is implementing some user suggestions.)

Multi-plot custom indicators- (What can I say except I'm happy.)

Custom Toolbar- Dockable and lets you create a shortcut to any
       chart, layout, browser, Excel program, etc..
       This is a wonderful thing.

Labeled Fib tool- now displays the percentage next to the Retracement.

Change Security- now works on all charts in a layout. (Haven't tried this yet so can't
comment.)

For most, I would imagine the driving force to upgrade would be the explorations on
exploration results feature, but who knows.

Regards,
Ken