Bollinger

(was Re: linear regression slope line)

> Am trying to find the encyclopedic post by one of the regulars about a year
> and a half ago on 50 ways to love your BB's <G>. If I find it, I'll post it.
> It's probably time BB's made the rounds again.

Below find an updated version. Oldest mailings at the bottom.
Email addresses were removed for privacy reasons.

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dismiss the ".nospam" bit (including the dot) when replying and
note the new address change. Also for my Homepage
http://home.planet.nl/~anthmaas

BOSS - Synergy with Bollinger by John Lowe (publ. March98 issue TAM, Dutch TA-mag)

In this article John Bollinger gets mentioned to have insisted on using a Price/Close-indicator
in conjunction with a combined Price/Volume-indicator. For example Price as a moving or exponential
average, the Typical Price(High+Low+Close/3) or one of the other on this theme excisting variaties.
Bollinger strives for synergy wich has to be confirmed by two of three indicators based on:
closing-price, price and volume, the Bollinger Optimised Synergy System:

1st criteria -Bollinger Bands are best used in conjunction with Wilders' RSI(9 or 14), an indicator based on
closing-price
2nd criteria -Price and Volume, combined in the Chaikin Oscillator are the other part of the BOSS.

According to most analists, the Chaikin Oscillator, a diversed accumulation/distribuation line, is a very good
alternative for the OBV-indicator. Chaikin Oscillators' basics are that a whealthy trend will be confirmed by
a healty, positive volume-development in the trend-direction. The Chaikin Oscillator can be substituted
with the MFI.

Chaikin Oscillator formula:
Mov(cum(((C-L)-(H-C)/(H-L))*V),3,E)-Mov(cum(((C-L)-(H-C)/(H-L))*V),10,E)

Money Flow Index

rev. 01/06/97

Taken from Stocks & Commodities, V. 12:8 (321-324): SIDEBAR: The Money Flow

"The money flow index (MFI) is a volume-weighted form of the relative
strength index (RSI). Instead of using up closes versus down closes, the
MFI compares today's average price to yesterday's average price and then
weighs the average price by volume to calculate money flow (MF). The ratio
of the summed positive and negative money flows are then normalized to be
on a scale of zero to 100."

Here are the MetaStockT formulas for the Money Flow Index:

Positive Money Flow:
sum ( if ( typ( ) ,> ,ref ( typ ( ) ,-1 ) ,V * typ ( ) ,0 ) , PERIODS)

Negative Money Flow:
sum ( if ( typ( ) ,< ,ref ( typ( ) ,-1) ,V * typ ( ) * -1 ,0 ) , PERIODS)

Money Flow Ratio:
fml ( "Positive Money Flow" ) / fml ( "Negative Money Flow" )

Money Flow Index:
100 - ( 100 / ( 1 + fml ( "Money Flow Ratio" ) ) )

***The time periods are controlled by PERIODS in the Positive and Negative
Money Flow formulas.
Equity Analytics, Ltd.
Phone: 516-696-9784 Fax: 516-696-9788
E-Mail: technicalanalysis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Equity Analytics provides research and analysis such as: portfolio modeling advisement, IPO assistance, individual
company profiles, sector analysis, and hedging strategies with derivatives for institutions.
On Balance Volume (OBV)

formula:
(if(c > ref(c,-1),1,-1) * volume) + PREV

This is part of a larger Technical Analysis site provided by Equity Analytics, Ltd.

Personally, I don't care too much to look at volume bars on the bottom of a chart. I've never felt it was precise enough
to gain much insight from other than to get a general idea as to how volume is running. Also, it's hard to relate volume
to price with just volume bars.

This is why I consider On Balance Volume to be such a useful indicator. It was developed by Joseph Granville. On Balance
Volume creates a volume line along the bottom of a price chart. OBV is relatively easy to construct. We first start with
a beginning number. It should be relatively high. I use 50,000. Then, on day one, if the close is positive, that days
volume is added to the 50,000. If the days close was lower, the volume is subtracted. So on up days, volume is added.
And on down days, the volume is subtracted. The result is a fluctuating line.

The value of the On Balance Volume is that it generally is a precursor to a change in trend. The holding is that smart
money leaves a security first when it is near a top; and also that the smart money is buying when a security is near a
low. When the general public catches on to a security's rise in price, volume will increase substantially and the OBV
line will increase rapidly faster. Conversely, On Balance Volume will start to decrease while price is still rising.
This indicates that the smart money is leaving the security.

Another valuable aspect of On Balance Volume is when divergence's occur. When OBV is decreasing while the price is
increasing, a signal is generated that the rally may not be as solid as it appears. When price is declining and OBV is
increasing, it is a sign that the investor shouldn't become too bearish. The decline may not last too long.
written and copyrighted by:
Charles J. Kaplan, President, Equity Analytics, Ltd.

Equity Analytics, Ltd.
Phone: 516-696-9784 Fax: 516-696-9788
E-Mail: technicalanalysis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Equity Analytics provides research and analysis such as: portfolio modeling advisement, IPO assistance, individual
company profiles, sector analysis, and hedging strategies with derivatives for institutions.
Bollinger Bands

This is part of a larger Technical Analysis site provided by Equity Analytics, Ltd.

Bollinger Bands are envelopes which surround the price bars on a chart. Bollinger Bands are plotted two standard
deviations away from a simple moving average. This is the primary difference between Bollinger Bands and envelopes.
Envelopes are plotted a fixed percentage above and below a moving average. Because standard deviation is a measure of
volatility, the Bollinger Bands adjust themselves to the market conditions. They widen during volatile market periods
and contract during less volatile periods. Bollinger Bands become moving standard deviation bands.

Bollinger Bands are displayed with a third line. This is the simple moving average line. The time period for this moving
average can vary. However, Mr. Bollinger recommends 10 days for short term trading, 20 days for intermediate term
trading, and 50 days for longer term trading.

Additionally, the standard deviation value can be varied. Many technicians increase the value of the standard deviation
from 2 standard deviations to 2-1/2 standard deviations away from the moving average when using a 50 day moving average.
Conversely, many technicians lower the value of the standard deviation from 2 to 1-1/2 standard deviations away from the
moving average when using a 10 day moving average.

An important thing to keep in mind is that Bollinger Bands do not generate buy and sell signals alone. They should be
used with another indicator. I prefer to use Bollinger Bands with RSI. This is because when price touches one of the
bands, it could indicate one of two things. It could indicate a continuation of the trend; or it could indicate a
reaction the other way. So Bollinger Bands used by themselves what they need to know. Which is when to buy and sell.
MACD could be substituted for RSI.

However, when combined with an indicator such as RSI, they become quite powerful. RSI is an excellent indicator with
respect to overbought and oversold conditions. Generally, when price touches the upper Bollinger Band, and RSI is below
70, we have an indication that the trend will continue. Conversely, when price touches the lower Bollinger Band, and RSI
is above 30, we have an indication that the trend should continue.

If we run into a situation where price touches the upper Bollinger Band and RSI is above 70 (possibly approaching 80) we
have an indication that the trend may reverse itself and move downward. On the other hand, if price touches the lower
Bollinger Band and RSI is below 30 (possibly approaching 20) we have an indication that the trend may reverse itself and
move upward.

Above, I have talked about the use of a second indicator to work with Bollinger Bands. Avoid the trap of using several
different indicators all working off the same input data. If you're using RSI with the Bollinger Bands, don't use MACD
too. They both rely on the same inputs. You might consider using On Balance Volume, or Money Flow. RSI, On Balance
Volume, and Money Flow, rely on different inputs. They measure different things. They can be used together as further
confirmation of a trend. The technical term for this is 'Avoiding Multicolinearity'.

written and copyrighted by:
Charles J. Kaplan, President, Equity Analytics, Ltd.

(BOL-V) Bollinger Band Volatility

Stocks&Commodities' articles-writer John Forman published his Volatility Analysing & Trading - strategies
for Trend and Range Trading, the Volatile and Non Volatile Markets - in the March98-No.10-p.17
issue of TAM, Dutch TA-magazine, by Tripple Assets NL, Maastricht-the Netherlands.
E-mail:Triple.Assets@xxxxxxxxxxxx

{VolaBB setup (Close,20,S,2)+0.20 and -0.20}

formulas:
name: BbandBot-Vola
Mov(c,20,s)-(2*stdev(c,20))*1.002
name: BbandTop-Vola
Mov(c,20,s)+(2*stdev(c,20))*0.998

Trading System:
Enter long  :  Close < BbandBot-Vola
Exit long     :  Close < Ref(Close,-1)
Enter short :  Close > BbandTop-Vola
Exit short    :  Close > Ref(Close,-1)

Rules: (volatility scale in percents)
Enter long when close is within 0.20% range of BbandBot-Vola
Exit long when market declines
Enter short when close is within 0.20% range of BbandTop-Vola
Exit short when markets advances

(BOL-H) Bollinger Band %B Histogram

((C+2*Std(C,20)-Mov(C,20,S))/(4*Std(C,20)))*100

right-click the indicator's properties, select style and then the bars as histogram

(BOL-C) Bollinger Band Crossover

John Bollinger observed that if Trading Bands were constructed based on Volatility of price, they would would contract
and expand according to market forces, more precisely matching the price movement and identify overbought and oversold
levels on the basis of observed volatility.

Construction:

In the construction of Bollinger Bands, Standard Deviation of price (SD) is used as the measure of volatility. SD is
determined in the following manner:

If:
P = Number of Periods considered and
Nsd = Number of Standard Deviations used

Then:
MA = P-Period Exp Moving Average of current bar's Close
SUM = (Close, - MA)2 + (Close 2 - MA)2 + ... + (Closep - MA)2
SD = (Square Root of SUM)/P

Plot a P-Period Exp Moving Average of the Close. For each bar, plot MA + (Nsd * SD) to derive the upper band. For each
bar, plot MA - (Nsd * SD) to derive the lower band. MetaStock and other programs use High and Low rather than Close in
the calculation for MA to yield MA high and MA low. This also yields a separate SD value for both the upper and lower
bands; SD high and SD low. SD high is then added to the MA high and SD low is subtracted from MA low to yield the upper
and lower bands, respectively. This appears to yield slightly better results.

Parameters:

Periods: (P) The number of periods used in the Moving Average and Standard Deviations. Deviations (NSD): The number of
Standard Deviations used in the calculation.

Trading System:

Bollinger observed that price moves originating at one band will usually travel to the other band. The Bollinger Band
System trades when the Close enters the band (similar to the Trading Band system discussed previously).

The bands expand and tighten according to higher and lower volatility levels. This system also shows strong moves in
which price originated at one band and moved decisively to the other band. This is the type of signal the system is
attempting to identify. As with the Trading Band system, the Bollinger Band system works well in Trading Range markets.

(BOL-T) Bollinger Bands w/ ADX

Linda Bradford Raschke, one of the Market Wizards interviewed in Jack Schwagger's book, The New Market Wizards, recently
described a system she uses to trade short-term moves, based on ADX and Bollinger Bands. ADX is used to detect a
retracement from the trend, and Bollinger Bands are used to establish entry and exit points after the retracement is
detected using ADX.

Construction:

First, a 2.4 Standard Deviation, 20-Period Bollinger Band is drawn. Bollinger Bands are defined in the Bollinger Band
Trading System. A 30-Period ADX line is then drawn for reference. ADX is defined in New Concepts in Technical Trading
Systems by Welles Wilder.

Parameters:

EMA Periods: The number of periods used in constructing the base moving average for the Bollinger Bands.
Deviations: The number of standard deviations used in the Bollinger Band calculation.
ADX Level: The level for ADX at which the system assumes that a trend is intact.
ADX Periods: The number of periods used in constructing the ADX line.

Trading System:

The System prepares to trade when ADX rises above 30. It then waits for the ADX line to drop slightly, indicating a
momentary change in trend. Subsequent to that event, the System takes a position when the price line moves back to the
Exponential Moving Average which forms the center of the Bollinger Band. The trade is then managed with tight stops. On
a short-term basis, the trade should make a good move in the direction of trend (following the retracement).

The system chooses short-term entry points with the trend, after detecting a slight retracement. The system trades
infrequently, but is usually correct.

From: Von Hef
Subject: Re: Bollinger Bands

From: Von Hef