Re: Reducing file-size of saved chart

GIF will soon be replaced by the PNG format (I think), the new MS70 is also
PNG-compatible, likely because there aren't any license fees involved.
PNG's quality + file compression is just about equal to the GIF-format
(see the PNG-links below).

My IE5 (see below the 1997-article which is still current) still cannot
open PNG files, eg on opening it will ask me if I want to Save to disk or
to Open this file from its current location.....................
but the OE5 program will let me directly view it in the preview pane,
when its either attched or inserted to an email...................

The Office programs are also PNG-compatible, incl. PhotoEd, as are the
QuickViewPlus- and HardCopy-programs.
MSPaint crashes on this "bitmapped" format.
Neither do I have an option in the Paint program to Save As gif file.

Gif (prev Compuserve now Unisys) and JPEG comparisons and the reasons
behind their differences, size, proper use and licenses etc. can be read
at the JPEG FAQs link below.

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dismiss the ".nospam" bit (including the dot) when replying and
note the new address change. Also for my Homepage
http://home.planet.nl/~anthmaas

>From an old PNG-mail:

JPEG FAQs - (actualy a very good write up on imaging (+formats) in general)
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/jpeg-faq/part1/faq-doc-3.html

PNG FAQ's
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/png/
http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/

All can be found on the above 2 addresses. From personal usage, cannot see much
difference in quality (png is only slightly more "orange skinny", with a few dips) and
a 5 Kb PNG-file is the equivelant of an 8 Kb GIF-file. Not worth the mentioning for
the moment, is it. (Using QVP-Quick View Plus).

>From the above + article below left my further exploration on the PNG-format for what it was.
An at that time also, (now not so current) article on the Support/KB site, eg search
for PNG, had Microsoft announcing (tho, by now this article can well be outdated):

Q174946 - Unable to View .png Images with Internet Explorer 4.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 4.0 for Windows 95

SYMPTOMS
When you try to open a Portable Network Graphics (.png) file, you may receive
an Open With dialog box prompting you to chose a program with which to open the file.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur when there is no file association for .png files on your computer.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, install a program capable of displaying .png graphic files.

MORE INFORMATION
Internet Explorer4 does not include the functionality to view .png files.

Last Reviewed: October 9, 1997
© 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.