From: Hugh Valliant <valliant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: zondag 7 november 1999 3:55
Subject: Re: OT-Hard disk Help Needed

Hi Ed and Daniel,

As I stated before, Win95 original WILL ONLY SUPPORT 2.1GB.....  It doesn't
matter how you slice it... You will not get Win95 original to recognize a
hard drive larger than 2.1GB..... It's a fact of Win95 software

Get the latest version of PartitionMagic 5.0.... or 4.0

Hugh

At 06:19 PM 11/6/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Ed,
>I've had much experience with partitions so I can help you.  When you
>create 1 partition on your master drive it is, as you know, C: and your
>primary partition.  When you create 1 partition on your second slave drive
>it is, as you know, D: and its primary partition.
>
>Although this doesn't apply to you, you should know each drive can have up
>to 4 primary partitions but only one can be active and seen by your
>O/S.  FDISK will allow you to create more than 1 primary partition and
>choose which is active.
>
>After you create a primary partition, you create your Extended partition
>for the rest of the drive.  Inside your Extended partition, you create
>logical partitions.  With FDISK, once you create a drive, you cannot
>resize it.  This is where you are having trouble.  With your deleted E:
>logical partition inside your Extended partition, you now have a large
>empty space there.  Since your E: partition encompassed your entire
>Extended partition of your master drive, your entire Extended partition is
>empty.
>
>The easiest way to increase your C: partition is to use PM to delete your
>Extended partition and resize your C: partition.
>
>Another way is to use some type of free partition copy software, such as
>which comes with hard drives sometimes, to copy it to another hard drive,
>delete all the partitions on your original drive, and finally copy the C:
>partition back.  I once used Western Digital's HDD software which comes
>with their drives and it was total junk.  It did an excellent job of
>trashing my HDD's partition table and it took me days to figure out how to
>fix it.
>
>The third and final way you already know and is the hardest.  Backup the
>entire C: partition to tape, use FDISK to delete all partitions, recreate
>C:, and restore from tape.  Problem with this method is that I'm not
>exactly sure how you're going to use your tape backup software if you have
>deleted all your software on your C: partition.  Even if you have your
>tape backup software on D:, the software uses your Windows Registry and
>you have, of course, deleted it (and that's not good, that's a baaad thing
>LOL).  And let's not forget about those shared Windows\System files your
>backup software uses (it may get a bit upset when it can't find them <G>).
>
>If you don't want to reinstall your entire system, it would behoove you to
>buy PM.  Because your drives are under 8 GB, maybe you can borrow PM v3.05
>from someone.  You can copy the main files onto a floppy and use PM from
>there.
>
>Some further information for you:  Your O/S will first recognize the
>active primary partition in your master drive, then the active primary
>partition in your slave drive, then the logical partitions in the extended
>partition in your master drive, and finally the logical partitions in the
> [...]

     \\\\!////
   \\ _ _ //
  ( @ @ )

MI-COM Technology
Computer Solutions for Small Business
  Helping you access and travel the Information Highway

Hugh A. Valliant

Bus. (416) 726-5355 Fax. (416) 699-3847

E-mail valliant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
valliant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx