Re: OT-Hard disk Help Needed

Hugh,
No, this is not correct.  Win95a with FAT16 will support partitions up to 2
GB's.  However, it is the BIOS and motherboard which will determine the limit
on how large your drive can be.  On Jan 1997, I purchased Win95a and a clone
Intel Triton VX chipset motherboard.  The Award BIOS v4.51PG was dated
10/20/1996.  I originally bought a 1.6 GB WD HDD with it but later in June 1998
upgraded to a 6.4 GB WD HDD.  Win95a and the VX motherboard recognized the
entire drive.  I believe this motherboard had a limit of either 6.4 GB's or 8.4
GB's.  I never found out which; I gave it away.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, in order to efficiently store data on a
drive using FAT16 you would have to use 512 MB partitions (even then you would
waste 10%).  Technology is constantly evolving; Drives are getting bigger;
O/S's and software need more space.  I think Win95a's days are over and it's
time to let it pass on to that big computer in the sky.  <G>

Daniel.