Re: OT-Hard disk Help Needed

Yes, this is another problem.  Also, with Win95a FAT16, you begin to waste large amounts of space when the partition gets above 511 MB.  Using FAT16, at 511 MB's, you waste 10%.  From 512 to 1023 MB's you waste 25%.  From 1024 to 2047 MB's you waste 40%.  The wasted space has to do with the larger cluster sizes which make up larger partitions, commonly called cluster slack space.  Because your 3.1 GB HDD had >1 MB partitions, you were already wasting 40% of the space on your HDD.  It's been so long since I've used Win95a, I had forgotten about the slack space on FAT16. You should really upgrade to Windows 98 so you can use FAT32.  I believe FAT32 uses 4KB clusters up to 7 GB partitions.  4KB clusters will waste about 4% of the HDD space.  Upgrade to Win98, then use it's Drive Converter to convert from FAT16 to FAT32.  PM will also do this and Win98 will recognize the partition. Daniel.     Hugh Valliant wrote:  Hi Ed, Unfortunately, Win95 original will only support a max of 2.1GB hard drive. That is why your 3.1GB hard drive had 2 partitions. IMHO  Your best and easiest solution would be to upgrade to Win98 and then use PartitionMagic to resize your hard drive In any case to have only 1 hard drive of 3.1GB, you'll need Win95B or higher.... Only with great skill can Win95 original be upgraded to Win95B.... A lot easier to upgrade to Win98...etc. We used to upgrade Win95 original to Win95B before Win98 came out... to take advantage of a single big drive.... t2ul8tr Hugh At 06:32 PM 11/6/99 -0500, you wrote: Hugh, I'm running windows 95 original.  I have 2 physical hard drives.  One is Drive D.  The other was partitioned into drives C and E.  I deleted E with FDisk and thought C would just expand by that much.  Is there anyother way to expand the C: portion other than partition magic or copying all the data to a tape backup (which I have) and reformatting the C: drive.  Is this a possible solution? thanks, Ed