Re: OT-Hard disk Help Needed

Ed, I've had much experience with partitions so I can help you.  When you create 1 partition on your master drive it is, as you know, C: and your primary partition.  When you create 1 partition on your second slave drive it is, as you know, D: and its primary partition. Although this doesn't apply to you, you should know each drive can have up to 4 primary partitions but only one can be active and seen by your O/S.  FDISK will allow you to create more than 1 primary partition and choose which is active. After you create a primary partition, you create your Extended partition for the rest of the drive.  Inside your Extended partition, you create logical partitions.  With FDISK, once you create a drive, you cannot resize it.  This is where you are having trouble.  With your deleted E: logical partition inside your Extended partition, you now have a large empty space there.  Since your E: partition encompassed your entire Extended partition of your master drive, your entire Extended partition is empty. The easiest way to increase your C: partition is to use PM to delete your Extended partition and resize your C: partition. Another way is to use some type of free partition copy software, such as which comes with hard drives sometimes, to copy it to another hard drive, delete all the partitions on your original drive, and finally copy the C: partition back.  I once used Western Digital's HDD software which comes with their drives and it was total junk.  It did an excellent job of trashing my HDD's partition table and it took me days to figure out how to fix it. The third and final way you already know and is the hardest.  Backup the entire C: partition to tape, use FDISK to delete all partitions, recreate C:, and restore from tape.  Problem with this method is that I'm not exactly sure how you're going to use your tape backup software if you have deleted all your software on your C: partition.  Even if you have your tape backup software on D:, the software uses your Windows Registry and you have, of course, deleted it (and that's not good, that's a baaad thing LOL).  And let's not forget about those shared Windows\System files your backup software uses (it may get a bit upset when it can't find them ). If you don't want to reinstall your entire system, it would behoove you to buy PM.  Because your drives are under 8 GB, maybe you can borrow PM v3.05 from someone.  You can copy the main files onto a floppy and use PM from there. Some further information for you:  Your O/S will first recognize the active primary partition in your master drive, then the active primary partition in your slave drive, then the logical partitions in the extended partition in your master drive, and finally the logical partitions in the extended partition in your slave drive.  The active primary partition in your master drive is always the boot partition. Good Luck, Daniel.     Ed Middleton wrote: Hugh,I'm running windows 95 original.  I have 2 physical hard drives.  One is Drive D.  The other was partitioned into drives C and E.  I deleted E with FDisk and thought C would just expand by that much.  Is there anyother way to expand the C: portion other than partition magic or copying all the data to a tape backup (which I have) and reformatting the C: drive.  Is this a possible solution? thanks, Ed