Re: good computers

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Harley Meyer wrote:

> I would have to agree with the "Roll your own". Obviously it isn't for every
> one. But if you are pretty good at trouble shooting your windows problems and
> have upgraded a video card or a modem or even a hard drive. Then you are 90 %
> there to building your own. The only downside is if you don't have old software

I have built several computers for myself and others. The hardest part of
putting it together is the installation of the motherboard. Once past
that you are just plugging in cards and cables and installing software.
The last motherboard installation was by far the easiest as it was
installed in an Enlite case -- highly recommended.

If you think there is even a slight chance that you may install Linux on
your new system (you can dual boot between Linux and other OSes) then you
should go to the RedHat web site and make sure the components you are
buying for the box are on the hardware compatibility list as supported
components. You are at the mercy of the manufacturer it you don't build
your own.

Cheers,

Jim