RE: good computers

If you want to build your own and need some information you can do no better than visiting Tom's Hardware Guide at http://sysdoc.pair.com/.  Forget about buying books.  You'll find everything you need at this site.

Sorry Ken, <G>
Ron

<<Chris,

You just had to go and give me some hardware links, didn't you.  Now I
know that in the reasonably near future I'm gonna have to build one.  I
love building stuff.  But this time around rather than upgrade or build
I'm going to buy a complete system.  I'm handy but my knowledge about
building a pc is nil.  I'd probably have to buy a book or two, do a little
research on hardware, etc, and make decisions about components that I know
little about at the moment and right now I don't have the time.  Buying a
complete system requires fewer steps thus less time. Also I have no desire
to reuse any component from my current system other than maybe my hard
drive and modem.  I've upgraded|replaced|installed basic things like
memory, harddrive, SCSI, modems, and a couple other things, but had never
considered building one until today.  Thanks....I think. <g>

You said that DELL and Compaq are too proprietary and that Micron and
Gateway are upgradeable.  I use my computer for Metastock, word processor,
e-mails, internet and little else.  I don't play games, CD's etc on it, so
at the moment I don't foresee the need to upgrade whichever machine I end
up buying anytime soon.  That said, I remember a couple of years ago when
I thought a 1 GIG HD was more than I'd ever need in this lifetime.  I'm
planning on buying a system with approx 450MHz, 128 RAM, 8+ HD, etc., so
I'd like to think that I'll be set for at least two years.  I will look
into the upgradeability issue though.  If you want to comment on some
specifics as to what is not upgradeable I'll certainly listen.

I've enjoyed your comments and everyone else's and basically got what I
wanted to know - i.e., are there any computers that don't get along with
Metastock - apparently not, at least no one has mentioned problems, and,
which computers are good, which to avoid.  I'll post some sort of tally
from the 15 or so e-mails I received just in case anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Ken
mailto:divenfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\RE good computers1"