Re: Reuters

The reason I switched modems (and vendors - from istar to Rogers cable)
was to try and alleviate some or all of the following:

- when i tried to access data via the net I kept getting "could not find
host name (11002)" errors. Reuters told me my vendor was too far from
the "backbone" of the net and by the time the host name was found my pc
had timed out.

- it would take me 3 or 4 tries per night twice a week to get my 4800
stocks using a 56k v90 modem

- speed of access was a 3rd consideration although the answer I got an
this was "it depends".  The question was "Will my downloads be faster
than with my 56k v.90 equipped modem?"  The reality - YES a cable modem
gets you the data faster.  I am not a techie.  I asked the cable
provider how much faster will the cable modem be & they said 53 times
faster.  I now know if I am waiting for someting to load on my screen
chances are its not the links - its the computer at the other end - or
my computer. My cable modem is on a node with 60 other users.  All the
nodes are linked via fibre optic to a hub on (not near) the backbone of
the net.

- I thought perhaps I might be able to get around these id=800 errors
and packet timeouts.  For the week it worked perfectly I almost
considered dropping Reuters an apology letter saying it was my computer
configuration (being so far off the backbone and all) that was at
fault.  However having tried two data vendors configured quite
differently and two very different modems I am 100% confident this is
not a user issue. Reuters or the network or the combination of the two
is where the problem lies.

I still haven't coded a trailer so I will have to do this manually.

David Duggan
(In heaven again - my download worked! - I live another day)