Re: Reuters

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 metardr@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> - when i tried to access data via the net I kept getting "could not find
> host name (11002)" errors. Reuters told me my vendor was too far from
> the "backbone" of the net and by the time the host name was found my pc
> had timed out.

If you are having trouble with DNS lookup, you might try pinging the
server using the server name to obtain the ip address, then insert the ip
address in place of the server name. Under NT/95 the address will be
pinged 3 times. If the latency is really bad just keep trying till you
get a reply. Example command(insert server as appropriate):

ping reuters.com

The ip address will look something like 111.111.111.111
In this case you would replace the reuters.com with 111.111.111.111
providing the software you are using permits it, of course.

Cheers,

Jim

PS: You must do this from the command line.