Re: Commodity traders. How do you test a system?

System testing, what an art!

My personal philosophy is to test on discrete contracts only.  My style is
fairly short term -
in only a couple days usually, so my results don't require long positions.

In general - try to model closely the way you will be trading.  If you'll
exit and roll over on a certain
date, try to test that way.

Use backtesting to find good trading ideas, and then test on other data to
weed 'em out.
My biggest rookie mistake was to test ideas that I couldn't stomach.  Almost
anything will
test out given a big enough drawdown.

And by the way, I feel the real art is in the exits.

..mark