Commodity traders. How do you test a system?

  • To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Commodity traders. How do you test a system?
  • From: Barry Spreen <bspreen@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:22:48 -0500 (EST)

There are probably as many techniques for testing and optimizing
systems as there are traders.\
I would be interested in the techniques of others with a view to
improving my own technique.

In particular I would like to know what you think about using
continuous contracts for system testing. What type of continuous
contract do you use and why?

Basically my technique is to optimize a small set of variables (I
prefer no more than three) first against the continuous contract, and
then against a year or two of the most recent specific contracts. Then
I look for sets of optimization variables which seem to repeat the
most often as winners.

Using these selected optimizing variables, I can then examine the
system for possible fine tuning in other ways.

How do you do it?

What do I do that you think is foolish?

What do you do that you think is brilliant?

--

Best
Barry