Re: Downloader updating multiple directories

>Of course turning on "Create new files" avoids the error but you get two copies of
>your data. One where you wanted it (not updated) and a new one in the alphabetical
>directory.

This can be avoided, if you would place the first one in a folder that is before, in
alphabetical order, it is due to be Created.

Folder as Destination Folder by input from User
The Downloader, with the Create New Files " ON " , does look for a "number.dat" file in
the first addressed Folders Master file it comes accross, in that Folders-hierachy.
This Folder then being the somewhat Parent Folder, does mean that it can hold more
folders, eg the sub-folders. These on their turn can also hold more folders, eg the
sub-sub folders, eg the Child Folder(s).
When found, the tickers security "number.dat" will get updated.
Then it will not futher update any of the "same" tickers found in any of the then consequtive
folders, eg the Child Folder(s), as Conversion already has been taken place.

At first I believed as well that multiple securities with the same ticker code but residing in
any of the same Main Folder's Child Folders would get updated too, but testing this out
didn't deliver any results.

Basicaly the Addressing sequence for Folders in Win95 is:
1. Disc Folder, eg "C"
2. Main Folders, eg "C:\Equis" or "C:\Data" or "C:\Ms" etc.
3. Sub Folders, eg "C:\Equis\Dlwin" or "C:\Equis\Mswin" or "C:\Equis\Oscope" etc.
4. Sub-sub Folders, eg "C:\Equis\MsWin\Charts" or "C:\Equis\MsWin\Charts\Templates"
     or "C:\Equis\MsWin\Data" or "C:\Equis\MsWin\Data\Indexes" or
     "C:\Equis\MsWin\Data\Stocks" or "C:\Equis\MsWin\Samples\Data" etc.

Single security Folder updating
Addressing as Destination in Convert the "Sub-Folders" singlely, instead of adressing
the MAIN, will then have multi -of the same security- tickers to get updated.
But multi Conversions sessions everytime to these single Folders, then remains to be
inevetible, though.
Automating these sessions, can somewhat overcome Users irretations in this.

Multi securities Folder updating
A solution to this for more different tickers is then to play around with this Alphabetical
Adressing Sequence structure.
By creating only one Main Folder and more of the Sub folders as is required and
then also creating any of the by User required Sub-sub Folders.
And if the Downloader creates new ones, then just copy the newly mades to the required
folder, and auto-deleting the Source(and in Win95-Explorer the auto-made Folder).

Example(with Traverse Folders on Destination TAB applied):
C:\Ms
C:\Ms\Fut
C:\Ms\IndexA
C:\Ms\IndexN
C:\Ms\IndxStck\INDU
C:\Ms\IndxStck\SPX
C:\Ms\Options
C:\Ms\StocksA
C:\Ms\StocksN
C:\Ms\LocalA-M
C:\Ms\LocalN-Z
C:\Ms\Valuta

In my situation I have 3 securities for the DAX of wich 2 are not very well calculated
or even on some days not delivered.
The best one resides in the C:\Ms\IndexA folder and the other 2 subsequently in
another 2 extra created sub-sub-sub Folders futher down the Alphabetical line :
        one in C:\Ms\IndexB\IdxA and one in C:\Ms\Options\IdxN
and these 3 same tickers are then daily updated from several different ASCI update
files, BUT addressing only the C:\Ms Folder as the Destination Folder to be updated.
Note in this, that I intend to keep 1 security only, from starters, but that the other 2 are
cannot be removed from the Source ASCI files(so all 3 ASCI ticker data will have
Convert to always convert to 3 "securities" and either updates(1), overwrites(2) when
the first already updated one is found, or Creates(3) when nothing is found.
By structuring the securities 'way apart' then each ticker will update its own 'asigned'
security DAX.

Multi securities in multi Folders updating in one single session in this works, but
requires the right 'alphabetical' set up.

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxx

 Message -----