Re: [amibroker] AmiBroker VS Wealth-Lab ?

I had used WLD for a while before moving to AB. From my own experience, I have not encountered anything WLD can do but AB can't, though sometimes you have to be a bit creative. The system you described can be done using AB with some complexity but is very hard or even impossible using WLD. The main problem with WLD is that you don't have direct access to the signal list. Also as you pointed out, speed and continued development are much better with AB. AB had a steeper learning curve at the beginning. Porting existing systems from WLD to AB had helped me become proficient, I would think it might also help you if you do so. I would stick to AB in the future.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: tomahokinjo
  To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 6:27 AM
  Subject: [amibroker] AmiBroker VS Wealth-Lab ?

  I'm a freshman on amibroker,and I used wealth-lan for some
  time,wld's limit on position sizing,speed,and lack of respondence of
  request bother me so much, I heared that script in amibroker is very
  fast,but I don't know how powerful the position sizing functions in
  amibroker is.
  here is a system and a position size rule named dynamic exposure,the
  position sizing part is difficult to code in wld,I don't know
  whether it's difficult in amibroker to code or not?

  system:
  bollinger break out system,look period = 30,STD=3,stop price is
  reversed Bollinger band(period=20,STD=2),and trading rules are:
  long side:
  1) if close price is cross over BollingerBand(Close,20,3)'s upper
  band,long position is established at the close price;
  2) if close price is cross under BollingBand(Close,20,2)'s Lower
  Band,the long position is liquidated at the close price;

  Short Side:
  1) if close price is cross under BollingerBand(Close,20,3)'s Lower
  band,Short position is established at the close price;
  2) if close price is cross over BollingBand(Close,20,2)'s Upper
  Band,the long position is liquidated at the close price;

  position sizing rules:
  1) the initial exposure on each trade is 2% of current reduced
  equity,position size=2% of the current reduced equity / ABS(entry
  price - Trailing Stop).
  (the concept of reduced equity is from Mr. Van Tharp,it's total
  equity minus all the open profit,then plus the open profit that
  locked by trailing stop )

  2) when entry condition is triggerd,an initial position would be
  established(of course,a trailing stop is placed at the same
  time ),if the trailing stop is better than the entry price(for long
  position,it's higher than entry price,for short position,lower),a
  pyramiding position would be added(relevant trailing stop is placed
  in no time),the size of the pyramiding position is 1% of current
  reduced equity /ABS(entry price-trailing stop), that's,the initial
  exposure of the pyramiding position is 1% of the reduced
  equity.these two positions are separate;

  3) While holding the position,the ongoing exposure of the position
  is 1.5 x initial exposure(so,initial position's ongoing exposure is
  3%,pyramiding ongoing exposure is 1.5%),every day,the exposure of
  the position is calculated,and judged whether the exposure goes
  beyond the limit or not,if so,the position size would be reduced
  until the exposure is in the limit,if the exposure is small,the
  position size would be tried to increase until it's almost hit the
  limit.In this way,the whole exposure could be monitor and
  measure,the position size could be modified according the price
  fluctuation.
  (the technique of merging position is used in this step)

  4) the whole exposure of the account limit is 10% of the equity,if
  the whole exposure goes beyond the limit,no position would be added
  or increase.

  5) the initial exposure or ongoing exposure of each position should
  be stored in a file or in an relevant indicator that could be
  plotted on the chart.

  If amibroker could do what wld can't,maybe it's time for me to
  consider selecting amibroker instead of wld.

  regards.