Re: [amibroker] Re: Amibroker on Linux OS computer?

Sorry for the OT post people,

jessie_livermoore wrote:

>Recent studies indicate that there are actually more security F*&ups
>in Linux than in XP. (I leave it in the middle if this is user error
>or due to the product)

I call bluff on this statment. For Two reasons.
1) Due to the nature of open source, Security issues ARE found more
readily. And they are also FIXED more readily. Many of these "issues"
are fixed before they are ever exploited or known about by malicious coders.
2) Due to the Closed nature of XP just HOW do you know how  many
security issues are in XP? Are you takeing only the ones exploited under
XP and comparing against the former?  If so, Thats a pretty bad call.
 And where are these studies you talk about??? Link please.

>In addition there is a LOT of software that is not running on Linux.

Such as? All the software I have runs very well.

>(I have a UNIX background going back to 1986 and have been one of
>the persons responsible for getting internet into one of the first
>eductational institutes to offer this in our country. And this was
>on a Linux box)

I remember internet was available (edu institutes) quite a while before
"linux" ever emerged - And it was through Unix mainframes. So Im not
sure what your trying to say there......

>However we have to realise the constraints that any developer works
>under and that is return on investment. I would bet that Tomasz
>would be unable to offer Amibroker at its current price if he was
>going to support multiple platforms. The quality of the product
>would suffer (due to keeping multiple product lines in sync) and the
>response to requests for new functionality would slow down to a
>crawl. (Last position I had was software/ hardware architect in a
>turnkey solution provider, so I think that I have got a fair idea
>what is going on in a software shop)
>
>I sincerly hope that Tomasz is not seriously considering this (this
>is not to belittle Linux, however we need to stay realistic)

Im sure Tomasz is quite capable of dealing with these sort of issues if
he chooses to. I don't like to suggest how people should run their
buisness. But I do like to make suggestions as a user of AmiBroker.

ATB
    Michael.

24 Hours. Commission-Free.