[amibroker] Re: Amibroker on Linux OS computer?

Recent studies indicate that there are actually more security F*&ups
in Linux than in XP. (I leave it in the middle if this is user error
or due to the product)

In addition there is a LOT of software that is not running on Linux.

(I have a UNIX background going back to 1986 and have been one of
the persons responsible for getting internet into one of the first
eductational institutes to offer this in our country. And this was
on a Linux box)

However we have to realise the constraints that any developer works
under and that is return on investment. I would bet that Tomasz
would be unable to offer Amibroker at its current price if he was
going to support multiple platforms. The quality of the product
would suffer (due to keeping multiple product lines in sync) and the
response to requests for new functionality would slow down to a
crawl. (Last position I had was software/ hardware architect in a
turnkey solution provider, so I think that I have got a fair idea
what is going on in a software shop)

I sincerly hope that Tomasz is not seriously considering this (this
is not to belittle Linux, however we need to stay realistic)

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael.S.G." <OzFalcon@xxxx>
wrote:

> Hi Tomasz,
>     Yes, But times are changeing.
>
> <As you say.....Linux is for servers> I have used Linux as
> file/gateway/print servers for many years now.
> And as I mentioned, I have been using linux for my desktop  for
the last
> year. And very happy.
>
> Yes, There are virus's on EVERY platform, Mac/Amiga/Windows/Linux
&
> more. But the difference is
> there are only a handfull of virus's on the linux/mac systems,
Compared
> to the thousands on the windows
> systems. Also - Virus's do not propagate as readily on linux
systems as
> they do on windows. Most security holes under linux need to
be "Manualy"
> hacked into.  So this IMHO doesn't realy count. [As opposed to
worms
> simply propagating through the security holes in windows based
system.]
> Thus the ACTIVE virus count is close to nil.
>
> In regards to reboots, I had to reboot half a dozen times to
install
> antivirus/spyware on this windows laptop.
> You may say - "I was installing system software". But thats the
point.
> You don't NEED to on linux/mac.
>
> Though, As always - The more popular the system, The more
attention it
> gets from virus/worm/trojen writers.
> And yes, It does depend on the actual user. But windows default of
full
> system user (aka root) is a curse for windows/non savy users.
>
> I find gnome/kde desktops very stable. And much more flexable (aka
many
> virtual desktops).
> And the recent releases of linux - Like Ubuntu - Are very user
friendly.
> So being a linux fan (like myself)
> are no longer necessary.
>

> As always, Hoping you will release a native linux version of
amibroker.

>     All the best,
>        Michael.
>
> Tomasz Janeczko wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >Frankly speaking Windows XP is pretty stable for me and during
several years
> >I was NEVER forced to reboot "to keep things working". And this
includes
> >development activity when you are often running code that is not
yet "stable".

> >I was running Linux as well and while it is very stable when only
COMMAND LINE tools
> >are used, the XWindow programs (like KDE/Gnome) crash from time
to time.

> >So with all due respect,  I don't consider Linux to be one & only
solution. There are  viruses
> >for Linux as well and security holes too.
> >
> >I would say that it all depends on actual user : if properly
maintained XP box can
> >be at least equally stable as Linux box. And poorly maintanted
Linux could be worse than XP.

> >FWIW I consider Linux as a server system (that why AmiBroker.com
site is LINUX box),
> >but for everyday desktop computing I would not recommend it
unless you are Linux fan / evangelist.

> >Best regards,
> >Tomasz Janeczko
> >amibroker.com