Re: [amibroker] AmiBroker Computer Performance -- What Matters?

Hello,

You are right - moving from single core/CPU to double core/multithreading is
going to give way larger benefits than move from 32 to 64 bits.

Actually, there can be very little speed increase when going from 32 bit to 64 bit code, if any.
64 bit code does not give ANY computational advantage in regular integer arithmetic (which
is normally 32 bit) and with single precision IEEE (32 bit floating point).

64 bit will benefit only calculations involving large integers (64bit), double floating point (64 bit),
and applications involving addressing more than current 3GB limit of Windows.

On the other hand 64 bit applications are just larger, and it may happen that
it does not fit into in-processor cache as well as 32-bit counterpart, and this gives performance
penalty.

When it comes to AmiBroker, 64 bit vs 32 bit should have pretty marginal effect on speed,
that's why I am thinking that 32bit multi core/processor edition should get more focus.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com