Re: [amibroker] OT - Assembling New Computer

Dean, to give you some idea of the differences between computers I have recorded the following data.  I run huge optimizations using AB with Fred's excellent IO optimizer.  2500 stocks, 10 variables, 2 years of EOD data.  All systems have 1 Gb of RAM.  Times are for 1 full, 36 steps, run thru the optimizer.

Old Dell 2.5 GHz P4, 14 minutes

Dell 3.2 GHz P4 ht, 11 mimutes, ~ equal to processor speed difference

Dell 3.6 GHz P4 ht, 7m 15 sec, noticably quicker than the 3.2 GHz machine.

and last weekend on a friends new Athlon machine
Athlon 3500+, 4m 25 sec,  Quick, but expensive to buy in assembled form.

Cheers
Sid

Dean Hodgins <deanhodgins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My current system (a 1.8 ghz intel) based PC bogs down and freezes
when I run multi variable optimizations while computer at work is fine.
(It's a 2.2 ghz)

Good excuse to put together a new system. I was thinking of the newer
AMD / Athlon 64 bit systems and was curious whether anyone has had any
positive or negative experiences with newer 64 bit m/boards or chips or
any other thoughts recomendations.

Regards to all..

Dean Hodgins