From: Al Venosa
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] PositionSize / Capital

Ed,

I, too, have confirmed many times with backtesting what you report, viz,, that positionsize = -x gives better performance results than using volatility-based MM positionsizing. The non-MM code I've used in the past is:

posqty = Optimize("posqty",5,2,10,1); // no. of stocks active at any given time
PositionSize = -100/posqty; //equal equity model

I think I know what the problem is, but I have not as yet figured out how to solve the problem with AFL. If you use the MM-based positionsize statement as we have discussed (equal volatility model), i.e.,
PositionSize = -1 * C/StopAmt, and examine the tradelist, you will likely discover that, often, not all 5 stocks are active all the time. In other words, either you have idle capital earning nothing or you have fewer active stocks than you want. Why is this? Because some stocks, which might not be as volatilie as others, use up more of your capital to initiate a position than a more volatile stock. Consequently, your capital is used up before you have a chance to enter into your 4th or 5th stock. Instead of having 5 open positions, you might only have 3 because of this. Checking positionsize shrinking doesn't help because you'll discover you might have tiny positions in your 5th stock. The fewer stocks you have, the less diversified you are, and therefore the more risky your portfolio. The more risk, the higher the DDs. This problem cannot happen with the equal equity model since all positions are equal in size, by definition.

One possible way around this might be to increase your margin so that equity is expanded enough to allow full funding of all positions. But, again, this also increases your risk. Another way might be dynamically setting your risk to fit the volatility of each stock individually (the lower the volatility, the lower the risk and therefore, the smaller the positionsize for that stock). However, this changes your model so that you no longer have equal volatility/equal risk (getting closer to the equal equity model). So, the problem remains unsolved for the moment. I have not had time to devote to cracking this problem yet, but some day I hope to do this. If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

Al Venosa

ed nl wrote:
Thanks for your effort Al. It is very clear,

In one of my earlier posts I posted

// money management block
stopLoss = Ref(bbb*ATR(20),-1);
// trade risk
tr = IIf(Buy,(stopLoss / BuyPrice),stopLoss / (ShortPrice + stopLoss));
// renormalisation coefficient
rc = 0.02 / tr;
// positionsize
PositionSize =
rc * -100

it actually gives the same result as your:
PositionSize = -2.0 * IIf(Buy,BuyPrice,ShortPrice) / stopLoss
except for short positions. Exact the same it would be if I use: tr = IIf(Buy,(stopLoss / BuyPrice),stopLoss / (ShortPrice));

Unfortunatelly I do not get better results this way. Using just a simple PositionSize = -10 still gives somewhat better results.

rgds, Ed