Re: [amibroker] PositionSize / Capital

ed nl wrote:
Al,

but how do you implement the risk factor now?

ed
Ed:

Let us suppose you have established your risk as 1% (i.e., the maximum you are willing to lose on a trade). Let us also suppose your initial equity is $100,000. So, if the stock you buy (or short) goes down by the amount based on your system, you lose only $1000, keeping you in the game. Now, let us say you defined your
volatillty-based stop in terms of 2*ATR(20), which you incorrectly assigned to the variable TrailStopAmount. I say 'incorrectly' because the TrailStop in AB was designed to mimic the Chandelier exit, which is basically a profit target type of stock (it hangs down like a chandelier from the highest high since the trade was initiated, if long). I don't think you want the TrailStop to be your money management stop. Rather, the MM stop is the max stoploss, defined as:

StopAmt = 2*ATR(20);
ApplyStop(0,2,StopAmt,1);

So, if your stock declines by 2*ATR(20) from your entry, you exit with a 1% loss. Let's take an example. Stock A is selling for $40/share. It's ATR(20) is $1/shr or 2.5% of 40. Your stop amount is 2*ATR(20), which is $2/shr. How much stock do you buy? You simply divide your risk, $1000, by 2*1, which is 500 shares. This amounts to an investment of $40/shr * 500 shrs or $20,000. All of this can be coded in one simple line of AFL plus the 2 lines above defining the MM stoploss:

PositionSize = -1 * BuyPrice/StopAmt;

where -1 is 1% of current equity (0.01 * 100,000 or $1000), BuyPrice = $40/shr, and StopAmt is 2. Keep in mind that a negative sign means 1% of CURRENT equity, which means compounded equity, not just a constant initial equity of $100,000. If you carry through the above math with your renormalization coefficient notation, you wind up with the exact same answer.

One more thing. When you place your order, assuming you are trading with EOD data, you do not know what the buyprice is until you buy the stock, which is the next day. So, what most traders do is base their positionsize on the closing price of the night before the entry. Therefore, to place an order in the evening to be filled in the morning at the open, your positionsize statement would actually be:

PositionSize = -1 * C/StopAmt;

where C is the closing price on the night before you buy. So, if you use the code SetTradeDelays(1,1,1,1), then the above formula is OK. However, if you use SetTradeDelays(0,0,0,0), then you have to ref the C back a day.

This is probably more information than you were asking about, but I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Al Venosa