Jayson
<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Chuck Rademacher
[mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003
7:05 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
The demise of 23 systems...
thought that I would share the following with you.  Perhaps you can
see how the results of my research may affect your own
systems?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I had
what I thought to be 23 "good" to "very good" systems that I backtested
against a current NASDAQ 100 watchlist.   After spending two
days updating symbols and accounting for de-listed stocks, I came up with nine
separate watchlists, as at January 1 each year between 1995 and
2003.   Thanks to some of you, I modified my AFL to make sure that I
used the correct watchlist depending on the date.   The results... not
one of my 23 NASDAQ 100 systems now backtest with acceptable
performance.  Many went from nice, positive returns with low drawdowns to
negative returns and almost total loss of capital.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
What
does it all mean?   IMO, working with only a current NASDAQ 100
watchlist can give you a real sense of false security.   Not only are
de-listed stocks not in the current list, but many of those de-listed stocks had
lacklustre performance before their demise.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
encourage you to think about the impact of using only a current watchlist,
regardless of how that list is constructed, for backtesting
purposes.   I see it all the time.   System designers create
watchlists of high-beta or high-yield or low P/E or whatever stocks based on
current information to backtest a system starting perhaps five years
ago.   Think about it!Send BUG REPORTS
to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
group FAQ at: <A

  To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/

  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
  href="">amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.