RE: [amibroker] The demise of 23 systems...

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [amibroker] The demise of 23 systems...
  • From: "Herman vandenBergen" <psytek@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 05:04:25 -0800

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Thanks for sharing this with us Chuck, I am not completely
surprised because some years ago I went through a similar experience. I think
one way around this is to create a watch list of mature NASDAQ stocks that
have been around for your entire backtesting period and use those for
development. When design is complete (is it ever?) test it on the other
securities.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>herman.
<SPAN
class=420553912-30122003><FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff>
<SPAN
class=420553912-30122003>
<SPAN
class=420553912-30122003> -----Original Message-----From:
Chuck Rademacher [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: December
30, 2003 8:05 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
[amibroker] The demise of 23 systems...

  thought that I would share the following with you.  Perhaps you can
  see how the results of my research may affect your own
  systems?
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  had what I thought to be 23 "good" to "very good" systems that I backtested
  against a current NASDAQ 100 watchlist.   After spending
  two days updating symbols and accounting for de-listed stocks, I came up with
  nine separate watchlists, as at January 1 each year between 1995 and
  2003.   Thanks to some of you, I modified my AFL to make sure that I
  used the correct watchlist depending on the date.   The results...
  not one of my 23 NASDAQ 100 systems now backtest with acceptable
  performance.  Many went from nice, positive returns with low drawdowns to
  negative returns and almost total loss of capital.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  What
  does it all mean?   IMO, working with only a current NASDAQ 100
  watchlist can give you a real sense of false security.   Not only
  are de-listed stocks not in the current list, but many of those de-listed
  stocks had lacklustre performance before their demise.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  encourage you to think about the impact of using only a current watchlist,
  regardless of how that list is constructed, for backtesting
  purposes.   I see it all the time.   System designers
  create watchlists of high-beta or high-yield or low P/E or whatever stocks
  based on current information to backtest a system starting perhaps five years
  ago.   Think about it!Send BUG
  REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
  group FAQ at: <A

    To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/

    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
    href="">amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.