  >From:
  Dave Merrill

  To: <A
  href=""
  title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: 29 December, 2003 8:49 PM
  Subject: RE: [amibroker] Shifting
  MA's

  Joe,
  please excuse if I'm over-whacking the obvious here, but I think you said you
  were new to AB, so I wanted to make sure you understood some important
  basics.
  <SPAN
  class=026461604-30122003>
  Just
  because you can write a formula that directly refers to future data doesn't
  mean that that's a valid thing to do. The most obvious example, Ref(array,
  offset) can take a negative offset, meaning the number of bars BACK
  to look, or a positive offset, meaning the number of bars IN THE FUTURE to
  look. While there are situations where it may make sense to do that (pattern
  analysis etc), obviously you can't trade signals based on future data, because
  as good as AB is, the future bars it would have to look at don't exist yet
  today, which is when you need the signal. Systems that peek into the future
  can backtest amazingly well (see the Zig function), but can't be traded in
  real life; it'd be like looking past the right edge of the chart. There are a
  bunch of ways to reference future data in AB, and it's mostly up to you do
  understand how your formulas work and avoid it. The Check btn in the
  backtester will try to warn you, if it can tell, but understanding is your
  real tool here.
  <SPAN
  class=026461604-30122003>
  <SPAN
  class=026461604-30122003>Directly referencing future data is fundamentally
  different from extrapolating an estimate of it, which at the root of it is
  what we're all trying to do -- guess the future by looking at the past. As
  long as you don't actually read data from future bars to generate today's
  indicators, any way you can think of to make today's decisions is ok. As to
  how you might do that, well, that's trading system design
  (;-).
  <SPAN
  class=026461604-30122003>
  I'm
  probably going on and on here explaining the painfully obvious. The point is
  just that until you're really confident of your AFL skills and fully
  understand the limited situations when it's ok, I'd strongly suggest not
  referencing future data, ever.
  <SPAN
  class=026461604-30122003>
  Make
  sense?
  <SPAN
  class=026461604-30122003>
  <SPAN
  class=026461604-30122003>Dave
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    Dave..

    It's certainly interesting that you can write
    code for projecting MA's ahead of current price bars....into the future so
    to speak.

    That makes me think that you might  be
    able to also project other data into the future as well. What I have in mind
    specifically is price data and my interest arises from the fact that
    the "projection of price data" into the future and the manipulations that
    can be done with it, account in large measure for the development of Jim
    Hurst's "Cycle Analysis Program".

    Jim Hurst is regarded by many to be the father
    of cyclic analysis.

    Maybe I could use an example to more clearly
    show what I'm driving at.

    Suppose you had a printed copy of a daily chart
    of say the Nasdaq.....could be anything actually. Then you take an ordinary
    drafting room "bow compass" and adjust the points (needle point on one end
    and pencil point on the other end) to say 40 days.

    Then with the needle point of the compass you
    trace over the current price bar centers starting with the last
    bar and working backward....simple enough and by keeping the two compass
    points horizontal as you trace over the price data with the needle point you
    also leave a "line trail" that's made by the pencil point.

    That trail is, in effect, a
    projection of  current daily prices 40 days into the future and
    that's what I would like to be able to
    convince the computer to do.

    It was not unusual in Hurst's program for
    several price projections, of different lengths, to be drawn and shown
    together in what he called "cascading patterns".

    He called the projections FLD LINES for "future
    lines of demarcation" and were the foundation of most of his
    work.

    His program was detailed in 10, elaborately
    done, lessons which could only be described as a labor of
    love.

    I frequently use the bow compass projection
    routine but it would be great if there were AB code available that could do
    the job.

    Does it sound possible?

    thanks for listening,

    ...........Joe Platt