Re: Stock Selection was: [amibroker] Re: NDX / QQQ - Can it be traded ?

Dale:

I'd start by first asking myself what is the range that a particular
variable is most likely to be bounded by. For example, in your MA example, you
should ask if it is feasible to even consider MA's greater than 70 (which is 14
weeks) and less than 10? So, right away, you've eliminated everything less than
10 and greater than 70 just by reasoning. Do that for all the other 4 or 5
variables so that you have a reasonable range upon which to optimize each.
Then, start out with large steps (perhaps stepsizes of 10 for the MA example,
giving you 7 steps for that variable). If you can get by with, say, 5 steps
for each of the other 4 variables, that would give you 5*5*5*5*7 or 7168
optimization steps. That's a lot of optimization steps if you are optimizing
over a watchlist of 500 or so stocks. So, maybe you should select just a few
stocks to start off with (say 10 or so, or maybe even just 1!) , just to get
gross approximations. You can then fine tune from there. Or, use Graham's
approach and do it in batches. Or, better yet, use the KISS principle and trash
one or more of your indicators and limit the variables to no more than 3!
 :-))

AV

<BLOCKQUOTE