Re: peak - trough with variable

--- In amibroker@xxxx, "Jayson" <jcasavant@xxxx> wrote:
> Estaban,
> no, until such time as your counter move has exceeded 1.2% the
turn is open
> change.

Zig may show the turn to have occurred but until the turn exceeds
the setting it is capable of reversing its self and simply erasing
any trace of its error.

Jayson,
Let me make a comment here.
>From the moment Zig detects a peak [some bars after the peak day], it
is a fact and it will not change in the future. We have a long and
interesting discussion on this behavior last summer. Tomasz created a
fine simulator on this purpose. The last peak, once established, will
not change, the last leg will search for the next trough.
DT

this is why zig can be so dangerous to rely on. when you
> system test zig is always correct. All of the turns have been
confirmed. In
> real life the system will not trade the way zig says it does.
>
> peak(ARRAY, change, n=1)
>
> Peak= a peak means simply the price today is lower than the price
yesterday
> and the price yesterday was higher than the price 2 days ago.
Picture a
> roof line. Peak is the peak of the roof
>
> Array= high, Low, Close value from which the calculations are made
>
> Change= the sensitivity of the confirmation. in this case a stock
who's move
> exceeds 1.2% cannot result in a vanishing signal. any counter move
after the
> 1.2% will result in a new leg being drawn. If the new move does
not exceed
> 1.2 percent and instead resumes the prior move than the turn is
erased and
> appears to have never been there to begin with.
>
> n=1 = which of the turns in the zigzag are you referring to? 1=
the last
> turn. 2= the turn prior to that, etc, etc
>
> if you are still lost contact me off list and I will send some
pictures,

> Jayson

would
> measure back to the high point from the current low, evaluating
whether or
> not it was >= 1.2%.
>
> If so then using the High value (as opposed to Low or Close) to
measure
> from a peak seems odd, as the retracement may have taken place from
the
> other price points of the bar. Part of why I've been confused about
this
> whole topic, since the examples I've seen use the high.
>
> Sorry to beat this to death. I've read lots of posts concerning zig-
zag and
> searched the manual, but I've never gotten the concept clear in my
mind.

> Esteban

uses the
> Zig Zag function (see Zig Zag) to determine the peaks. n =1 would
return the
> value of the most recent peak. n =2 would return the value of the
2nd most
> recent peak. Caveat: this function is based on Zig-Zag indicator
and may
> look into the future.
> EXAMPLE peak(close,5,1)
>

> As DT correctly pointed out, the last turn in the series is
always open to
> change. tonight's peak may show a turn yesterday. if the market
corrects
> prior to your threshold being met (1.2%) then that peak will simply
> disappear. For this reason testing with zig/peak/trough is very
dangerous.
> to see how peak works drop zigzag on your price plot
>
> Jayson

Service.

> Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: amiquote@xxxx
>
> Check group FAQ at: