Re: [amibroker] Re: Once again: MoneyManagement

Herman,

I'm concerned about what you mean by MM. Do you mean placing stoplosses, or
do you mean determining how much to invest on each trade? Perhaps you should
define what YOU mean by MM. Ara seems to be equating it with stoplosses. Isthat
how you see it, too? It is well known that stoplosses diminish your profits.
There is no quarrel with that. However, in the process of doing so, such
stoplosses also preserve your capital so you can stay in the game without
experiencing ruin. I would have no problem earning 50% per year rather than300%
per year, as in your example. Making 50% per year is the holy grail! I don't
consider that a denegration of a system without stops. In fact, I would never
believe anyone who claimed they consistenly earn 300% per year. If that were the
case, they would own the planet in a very short time period (you'd double your
money every 3 months!!). In my estimation, one's goal should be preservation of
capital (minimizing risk) while attaining the highest profitability one can
muster without risking ruin. One does that with intelligent MM. I wish I had the
trading experience to prove it to you. I'm getting closer to developing a
trading system that is right for me. When I begin trading, I will report how
successful I am using MM techniques. Until then, I can only speak theoretically,
unfortunately. But the people I have learned from are traders who have usedMM
successfully over the years. It is my understanding that those traders who
consistently lose are those who do not use MM properly or at all. How do you
determine how much to buy when your system signals a buy or short?

Al V.
<BLOCKQUOTE