RE: [amibroker] Re: Once again: MoneyManagement

I've
seen from your posts that you actually trade. Do you trade using any of the
formulae you post on this group? If so, do you ever use stops? What's the
biggest drawdown (%) you've had?  What's the biggest drawdown percentage
that you're willing to take in order to achieve your final goal?  Do you
base your exits strictly on your fomula?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>dingo

<FONT
face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: DIMITRIS
TSOKAKIS [mailto:TSOKAKIS@xxxx] Sent: Thursday, October 17,
2002 3:12 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
[amibroker] Re: Once again:
MoneyManagementAl,thank you for the interesting
reply.My reply to Herman was influenced by the recent N100 events.I do
not confuse MM with system entry and exit.In general I apply the following
plan:The "basic" movements need the 60% of the capital.[two or three
selections with max 6 months perspective]Another 20% will be available for
sharp "take the money and run" movements.The rest 20% will "borrow"
some money to part I and II, when they do wrong.Any experimental new
technique needs money to be tested.Every 6 months the 50% of the pure
profits are capitalised and half of them will pay the experiments. The
rest is permanently out of the system.Experimental methods need 5or
more successful movements to become repetitive tools and more than 10
profitable tests to become "basic".I never thought to optimize this plan
and thatīs all. Dimitris Tsokakis--- In amibroker@xxxx, "Al
Venosa" <avcinci@xxxx> wrote:> DT,> > You are
confusing MM with system entry and exit. MM tells you how > much to buy
or sell. It has absolutely nothing to do with timing, > entries, exits,
etc. You talk about buying at the close and selling > at the open for a
+10% profit. Do you have a plan as to HOW MUCH of > your equity tobuy
at the close? That's what MM is all about. Your > system has to be
profitable first in order for MM to help you control > risk. What
if you buy at the close and sell at the open for a -10%? > If the trade
lost 10%, how much of your equity did you lose? MM tells > youhow
much of your equity you can afford to commit to a trade if > you
incurred a 10% loss in your trade. You have to plan for whatever >
loss you are willing to incur in order to implement MM properly. >
TSOKAKIS" <TSOKAKIS@xxxx> wrote:> > Herman,> > I
share the question.> > When Buy at Close/Sell at next day open is
+10% and Short at > > close/Cover at next day open is another +10%
and at the end you are > a > > bit below the first
movement, what is the meaning of any MM > > technique ? Is it valid
for loosing periods only ? Then, not > trading > > at all
would be a better advise. > > DT> > --- In amibroker@xxxx,
"Herman van den Bergen" <psytek@xxxx> wrote:> > > I
have just one question: Does it really work?> > > > >
> Is it worthwhile for me to spend hundreds of hours reading
boring> > > books and trying all kinds of code that doesn't
work?> > > > > > Can anybody honestly tell me that
they increased performance of> > > their trading system by more
than 100% or reduced their Drawdowns> > > by 50% or more,
using money MM techniques? Or even better: turn a> > >
loosing system into a winner?> > > > > > Or is it
ALL about reducing risk and never mind that the profits> > >
dwindled to 20% of what it was before MM?> > > > >>
Any encouragement for me to dig into, or not to dig into, this> >
> topic would be appreciated. Examples of how MM benefited you>>
> would be appreciated...> > > > > > Many
thanks,> > > Herman.> > > > > > PS. Are
MM techniques implemented in AB or externally?Post