From: Tomasz Janeczko
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Importing from ASX data

Hello Fred,

> [...]
> I sighed .. "sectors and industries" at last ! then, instead, you went on to
> write (an incredably useful tute) about "Commentry" writing ! All your NLs
> have been useful .. so 'thank you' for them .. and the 'resizable windows'
> in V3.41.

Yes, I realized that I left the "Welcome" text unchanged after sending NLto the list. However an updated version is available on my
web site at:
http://www.amibroker.com/newsletter/06-2000.html

Sectors and industries will come back soon in NL :-)

>[...]
> So, Question 1]: What is the role of these two broker files (sectors and
> industries) ? are they 'just' a part of the 'documentation' - or are they
> supposed to be ' .ini' like ? ( broker.exe will run without them being
> present too). When I look at the properties of the Stocks object I can see
> Fullname:string but IndustryID, MarketId and GroupID are type :number
> suggesting that broker.(sectors and industries) are documentation ?
No. I wrote some time ago on this e-mail list that broker.sectors and
broker.industires are used as a template when creating new workspace.
Once workspace is created these files are not taken into consideration.
In this way you may have different categories in each workspace.
If you want AmiBroker to load them into already existing workspace
please delete broker.workspace file BEFORE opening the workspace.
If you now open the workspace AmiBroker will read broker.sectors and broker.industries.

> Q2] is it possible to display the 'open' marker on the price-bar ?
What do you mean? The open price? It is displayed when candlestick or barchart
is used.

> Q3a] In the price window would it be possible in a future release to include
> the y-coordinate ( the x-coordinate is already shown) of the mouse cursor -
> maybe this display mode could be toggled ? This would be useful when trying
> to determine the price value position of, say, a placement of a horizontal
> line study.
Well, with "data tooltips" enabled (See Prefs->Misc) if you stay a while over
a point on the chart the Y position (Value) is displayed.

> Q3b] Could the values displayed on the top line of the 'Indicators' panes be
> made dynamic like we have with the Refresh button in the 'Guru Commentary'
> window ?
This is long discussed topic - sometime I will switch to that.
The reason why it was not implemented originally was that AmiBroker was
originally (in 1995) designed to run on Amigas with one megabyte (1MB) orRAM !!!!
It implied several limitations and it was one of it.

> I am new to this 'game' so decided to put the whole ASX 'data base' in.At
> the moment I am using the 1-1 correspondence between sector and industry
> (entered manually) as suggested elsewhere by Tomasz. It works OK and itis
> very satisfying, for the first time ever, to be simply able to enter a
> ticker or partial name and instantly to be able to see a price graph+ of
> what ever stock( commodity, foreign market, financial!!) I want to check. I
> can actually follow the newspaper reports now! Sure, there's a lot of
> 'rubbish' in the data base but I can manage that (partially by the use of
> Groups and Filters and correcting the data if it is 'important' !) . If
> there are other ASX users who want to exchange 'ideas' please feel freeto
> contact me - I'm no expert but between us we might clear up some problems
> instead of always 'distracting' Tomasz :-) .

Thanks a lot, Fred! I think that this is the most important goal of this mailing
list - helping AmiBroker users to share their ideas and solutions.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko

eGroups Sponsor

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C0660B.2D4A6EA0

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Tomasz and All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Can I suggest the date and price of the cursor
position be displayed in the grey status area at the bottom of the screen. (ie
same line as shows the num lock status, for help press F1) This would be useful
no matter what tool was in use at any time (eg the pointer, vertical, horizontal
or diagonal line, fibonacci retracement, fibonacci time zones). It would bevery
useful for price extensions, optimising the position of a trend line and so
on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The open price is the at the top of the body of a
black candle or the botton of the body of a white candle. I have drawn a diagram
in the attachment which I hope clarifies. At present the bar chart shows the
close price but not the open price.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I'd also like to add my thanks for the resizable
window on the Analysis form.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Geoff</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV
style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
Tomasz Janeczko
</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A
href="mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx";
title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, December 14, 2000 6:07
PM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [amibroker] Importingfrom
ASX data</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV><TT>Hello Fred,<BR><BR>&gt; [...]<BR>&gt; I sighed .. "sectors
and industries" at last ! then, instead, you went on to<BR>&gt; write (an
incredably useful tute) about "Commentry" writing ! All your NLs<BR>&gt; have
been useful&nbsp; .. so 'thank you' for them .. and the 'resizable
windows'<BR>&gt; in V3.41.<BR><BR>Yes, I realized that I left the "Welcome"
text unchanged after sending NL to the list. However an updated version is
available on my<BR>web site at:<BR><A
href="http://www.amibroker.com/newsletter/06-2000.html";>http://www.amibroker.com/newsletter/06-2000.html</A><BR><BR>Sectors
and industries will come back soon in NL :-)<BR><BR>&gt;[...]<BR>&gt; So,
Question 1]: What is the role of these two broker files (sectors and<BR>&gt;
industries) ? are they 'just' a part of the 'documentation' - or are
they<BR>&gt; supposed to be ' .ini' like ? ( broker.exe will run without them
being<BR>&gt; present too). When I look at the properties of the Stocks object
I can see<BR>&gt; Fullname:string but IndustryID, MarketId and GroupID are
type :number<BR>&gt; suggesting that broker.(sectors and industries) are
documentation ?<BR>No. I wrote some time ago on this e-mail list that
broker.sectors and<BR>broker.industires are used as a template when creating
new workspace.<BR>Once workspace is created these files are not taken into
consideration.<BR>In this way you may have different categories in each
workspace.<BR>If you want AmiBroker to load them into already existing
workspace<BR>please delete broker.workspace file BEFORE opening the
workspace.<BR>If you now open the workspace AmiBroker will read broker.sectors
and broker.industries.<BR><BR><BR>&gt; Q2] is it possible to display the
'open' marker on the price-bar ?<BR>What do you mean? The open price? It is
displayed when candlestick or bar chart<BR>is used.<BR><BR>&gt; Q3a] In the
price window would it be possible in a future release to include<BR>&gt; the
y-coordinate ( the x-coordinate is already shown) of the mouse cursor
-<BR>&gt; maybe this display mode could be toggled ? This would be usefulwhen
trying<BR>&gt; to determine the price value position of, say, a placementof a
horizontal<BR>&gt; line study.<BR>Well, with "data tooltips" enabled (See
Prefs-&gt;Misc) if you stay a while over<BR>a point on the chart the Y
position (Value) is displayed.<BR><BR>&gt; Q3b] Could the values displayed on
the top line of the 'Indicators' panes be<BR>&gt; made dynamic like we have
with the Refresh button in the 'Guru Commentary'<BR>&gt; window ?<BR>Thisis
long discussed topic - sometime I will switch to that.<BR>The reason why it
was not implemented originally was that AmiBroker was<BR>originally (in 1995)
designed to run on Amigas with one megabyte (1MB) or RAM !!!!<BR>It implied
several limitations and it was one of it.<BR><BR>&gt; I am new to this 'game'
so decided to put the whole ASX 'data base' in. At<BR>&gt; the moment I am
using the 1-1 correspondence between sector and industry<BR>&gt; (entered
manually) as suggested elsewhere by Tomasz. It works OK and it is<BR>&gt;very
satisfying, for the first time ever, to be simply able to enter a<BR>&gt;
ticker or partial name and instantly to be able to see a price graph+
of<BR>&gt; what ever stock( commodity, foreign market, financial!!)&nbsp;I
want to check. I<BR>&gt; can actually follow the newspaper reports now! Sure,
there's a lot of<BR>&gt; 'rubbish' in the data base but I can manage that
(partially by the use of<BR>&gt; Groups and Filters and correcting the data if
it is 'important' !) .&nbsp; If<BR>&gt; there are other ASX users who want to
exchange 'ideas' please feel free to<BR>&gt; contact me - I'm no expert but
between us we might clear up some problems<BR>&gt; instead of always
'distracting' Tomasz :-) .<BR><BR>Thanks a lot, Fred! I think that this is the
most important goal of this mailing<BR>list - helping AmiBroker users to share
their ideas and solutions.<BR><BR>Best regards,<BR>Tomasz
Janeczko<BR><BR></TT><BR></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C0660B.2D4A6EA0--

bmp00000.bmp