Re: [amibroker] Importing from ASX data

Hello All

************************ Part of NL 6 *************
Welcome to the 6th issue of AmiBroker Tips newsletter.

This issue is a little bit shorter than usual because I was busy preparing a
new version. The main topic of this issue is a tutorial on understanding
sector and industry assignments.

By the way: Do you find this newsletter useful? Have any
comments/suggestions or article ideas. Please don't hesitate to drop a line
to newsletter@xxxx

**************************************

Naughty Tomasz !

I sighed .. "sectors and industries" at last ! then, instead, you went on to
write (an incredably useful tute) about "Commentry" writing ! All your NLs
have been useful .. so 'thank you' for them .. and the 'resizable windows'
in V3.41.

Now back to "sectors and industries" .. and, of course, the files
'broker.sectors' and 'broker.industries' .

I made a companies (csv) file [1] with the format <ticker>,<full
name>,<business activity> and sorted this on <business activity>.

Then using your 'broker.sectors' as a guide, I made my own 'broker.sectors'
(after renaming yours) . I 'understand' zero-based counting is used so to
keep Gold as sector 1 ( as used by the ASX) I put "Wots This" at 0 !

Using my 'companies' file I made two other files :

2] 'broker.industries' which had the format <#> <businenn activity> ( not a
csv, eg 7 Cement and 7 Windows etc where the 7 corresponds to the eighth
line (implied number 7) 'Building Materials' in the file
'broker.sectors' ). On paper, at least, this provides the many-to-one
linkage between business activity (in 'broker.industries' and business
sector ( in 'broker.sectors').

and I made

3] tic_name_sector.txt ( a csv) using the companies file[1] by deleting the
column <business activity> and replacing it with <#> so it had the format
<ticker>,<full name>,<#> where # was the appropriate sector number. This was
the source file I used in your industries.js ( again 'thank you' for that
file and NL )

With these files in C:\Broker\Program I ran Broker.exe . My hope was that
sector name and industries name would now be displayed correctly in Stock ->
Stock Information and Stock -> Categories. This did not happen :-( . When
I run industries.js the line Stock.IndustryID = parseInt(fields[2]); gets
the # into the IndustryID field of the stock object .. but ....

So, Question 1]: What is the role of these two broker files (sectors and
industries) ? are they 'just' a part of the 'documentation' - or are they
supposed to be ' .ini' like ? ( broker.exe will run without them being
present too). When I look at the properties of the Stocks object I can see
Fullname:string but IndustryID, MarketId and GroupID are type :number
suggesting that broker.(sectors and industries) are documentation ?

-----------

A couple of 'minor questions'

Q2] is it possible to display the 'open' marker on the price-bar ?

Q3a] In the price window would it be possible in a future release to include
the y-coordinate ( the x-coordinate is already shown) of the mouse cursor -
maybe this display mode could be toggled ? This would be useful when trying
to determine the price value position of, say, a placement of a horizontal
line study.

Q3b] Could the values displayed on the top line of the 'Indicators' panes be
made dynamic like we have with the Refresh button in the 'Guru Commentary'
window ?

I am new to this 'game' so decided to put the whole ASX 'data base' in. At
the moment I am using the 1-1 correspondence between sector and industry
(entered manually) as suggested elsewhere by Tomasz. It works OK and it is
very satisfying, for the first time ever, to be simply able to enter a
ticker or partial name and instantly to be able to see a price graph+ of
what ever stock( commodity, foreign market, financial!!) I want to check. I
can actually follow the newspaper reports now! Sure, there's a lot of
'rubbish' in the data base but I can manage that (partially by the use of
Groups and Filters and correcting the data if it is 'important' !) . If
there are other ASX users who want to exchange 'ideas' please feel free to
contact me - I'm no expert but between us we might clear up some problems
instead of always 'distracting' Tomasz :-) .

The usuall 'Good Trading'

Fred Browne