Re: Importing from ASX data

Excellent post fred. I've been contemplating and diddling on this
myself. I down loaded company datsa etc as you did from ASX site,
parsed it into co, ticker, industry......and then tried as you did.

Tomasz english is a little fractured on a few key points where it
seems to matter. But Its still great value. I'll read on through e-
groups and hopefully see an answer.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx, "rbf" <rbf@xxxx> wrote:

> Hello All
>
> ************************ Part of NL 6 *************
> Welcome to the 6th issue of AmiBroker Tips newsletter.
>
> This issue is a little bit shorter than usual because I was busy
preparing a
> new version. The main topic of this issue is a tutorial on
understanding
> sector and industry assignments.
>

> By the way: Do you find this newsletter useful? Have any
> comments/suggestions or article ideas. Please don't hesitate to
drop a line
> to newsletter@xxxx
>
> **************************************
>
> Naughty Tomasz !
>
> I sighed .. "sectors and industries" at last ! then, instead, you
went on to
> write (an incredably useful tute) about "Commentry" writing ! All
your NLs
> have been useful .. so 'thank you' for them .. and the 'resizable
windows'
> in V3.41.
>
> Now back to "sectors and industries" .. and, of course, the files
> 'broker.sectors' and 'broker.industries' .
>
> I made a companies (csv) file [1] with the format <ticker>,<full
> name>,<business activity> and sorted this on <business activity>.
>
> Then using your 'broker.sectors' as a guide, I made my
own 'broker.sectors'
> (after renaming yours) . I 'understand' zero-based counting is used
so to
> keep Gold as sector 1 ( as used by the ASX) I put "Wots This" at 0 !
>
> Using my 'companies' file I made two other files :
>
> 2] 'broker.industries' which had the format <#> <businenn
activity> ( not a
> csv, eg 7 Cement and 7 Windows etc where the 7 corresponds to the
eighth
> line (implied number 7) 'Building Materials' in the file
> 'broker.sectors' ). On paper, at least, this provides the many-to-
one
> linkage between business activity (in 'broker.industries' and
business
> sector ( in 'broker.sectors').
>
> and I made
>
> 3] tic_name_sector.txt ( a csv) using the companies file[1] by
deleting the
> column <business activity> and replacing it with <#> so it had the
format
> <ticker>,<full name>,<#> where # was the appropriate sector number.
This was
> the source file I used in your industries.js ( again 'thank you'
for that
> file and NL )
>
> With these files in C:\Broker\Program I ran Broker.exe . My hope
was that
> sector name and industries name would now be displayed correctly in
Stock ->
> Stock Information and Stock -> Categories. This did not happen :-
( . When
> I run industries.js the line Stock.IndustryID = parseInt(fields
[2]); gets
> the # into the IndustryID field of the stock object .. but ....
>
> So, Question 1]: What is the role of these two broker files
(sectors and
> industries) ? are they 'just' a part of the 'documentation' - or
are they
> supposed to be ' .ini' like ? ( broker.exe will run without them
being
> present too). When I look at the properties of the Stocks object I
can see
> Fullname:string but IndustryID, MarketId and GroupID are
type :number
> suggesting that broker.(sectors and industries) are documentation ?
>

> -----------
>
> A couple of 'minor questions'
>
> Q2] is it possible to display the 'open' marker on the price-bar ?
>
> Q3a] In the price window would it be possible in a future release
to include
> the y-coordinate ( the x-coordinate is already shown) of the mouse
cursor -
> maybe this display mode could be toggled ? This would be useful
when trying
> to determine the price value position of, say, a placement of a
horizontal
> line study.
>
> Q3b] Could the values displayed on the top line of the 'Indicators'
panes be
> made dynamic like we have with the Refresh button in the 'Guru
Commentary'
> window ?
>

> I am new to this 'game' so decided to put the whole ASX 'data base'
in. At
> the moment I am using the 1-1 correspondence between sector and
industry
> (entered manually) as suggested elsewhere by Tomasz. It works OK
and it is
> very satisfying, for the first time ever, to be simply able to
enter a
> ticker or partial name and instantly to be able to see a price
graph+ of
> what ever stock( commodity, foreign market, financial!!) I want to
check. I
> can actually follow the newspaper reports now! Sure, there's a lot
of
> 'rubbish' in the data base but I can manage that (partially by the
use of
> Groups and Filters and correcting the data if it
is 'important' !) . If