>From:
David
Holzgrefe
To: <A
href=""
title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 4:34
PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Culling
database
Thanks Donald,I will have a look at what you
recommendations,  may I point out that I usecharting programs tohelp
me trade,  I have very little time to learnprogramming skills
Amibroker would have to be one of the most comprehensivecharting programs
I have seen most of it is easy to use with a littlepractice, as a trader
the main thing I want to do is scan my charts for keypoint (indicators)
and trademain things I want form a program are:1. easy to build
indicator searches2. the ability to save data quickly into watch lists for
further scanning orwatching over a period.3. keep track of my trade
portfolio all trades open and closed (tax reasons)hmm that had better
do for now I seem to have got off the topic----- Original Message
-----From: "Donald Dalley" <ddalley@xxxx>To: "Peter B.
White" <amibroker@xxxx>Sent: Thursday, November 30, 20009:01
AMSubject: Re: [amibroker] Culling database>> Hello,
David & Peter:>> On 29-Nov-00, Peter B. White
wrote:>> > Further to David's question about cleaning upthe
database.> > Is it possible to create a routine which will select
stocks which havenot> > been quoted for a week? If that list
could be created then it would be a> > simple matter to delete them
using the Delete function.>> I have written to the list about
this in the past, but it won't hurt to go> over it again. Maybe this
needs to be made into an FAQ. Having built anumber> of databases of
complete exchanges, over the years, I still manually cull> non-trading
stocks.>> Why?>> Some reasons that I use follow.
Some may apply to how you updatedatabases.> Other people may have
just as valid reasons to do this automatically, butit's> not my
style, since I use a method of adding *any & all* tickers found
inthe> data that I collect for my main databases. Therefore,
deleting anycurrently> valid ticker would be pointless. My REBOL US
data collecting programsdepend> on the database itself being
up-to-date - that keeps it simple.>> In Canada (most countries
now have one or more stock exchanges), we havethree> main
exchanges, plus a brand new NASDAQ Canada exchange. Some juniorstocks
on> junior exchanges grow up to be the big stocks, and I don't want to
losethese> histories of possibly interesting & profitable
companies. With a large> database, knowing when major changes occur to
each and every ticker isnearly> impossible. If a company movesfrom
a junior exchange to the senior TSE, I> would not want to automatically
lose the history from the juniorexchange's>
database.>> Even some fairly large US companies, such as Gateway
(GATE @ NASD, now GTW@> NYSE), move between
exchanges.>> Also, not all stocks (micro-caps, prefereds,
different classes, warrants &> rights, etc.) of a complete exchange
will trade daily. Some trade onlyonce or> twice a year. The
Australian ASX has other worries.>> If a take-over/merger makes
a ticker redundant because it changed (JDSinto> JDU), you may not
want to lose the supporting data in an otherwise currentAB>
file.>> An automatic culling program would delete these still
important files. Ifyou> make a mistake, you need to rebuild a file.
While not usually a big deal> (depending upon the country, the data may
be irreplacable!), it stilltakes> time).>>>
Now, even if you don't follow a whole exchange, here are some
suggestionsto> make manual deletion more efficient. Some involve
*no* programming, just> common sense & good
organisation.>> - decide more strictly, in the first place,
whether you actually want toadd a>    new stockinto
your main database> - set up a database for new stocks, then move those
you actually keep>    up-to-date into your permanent
database> - don't delete them (if the company interested you in the
past, it mightbe>    best to just keep the file-
use filters to ignore low-interesttickers)> - use a script to make
a list of all "last trades" or not recently traded>
stocks, with tickers (and other useful info, if you
wish...)>    - refer to a hard copy for deletions,
especially if you have manytickers>    - an ARexx
program, "names.rexx", at my web site may help with
theprogram>
logic>    - this idea has many useful applications,so
it is a good one to learn> - use a script to sequentially select any
stock that hasn't traded inn-days,>    then,
optionally, manually do a delete (this should be pretty
efficient>    with small databases)> - set up a
group for new tickers and use a script to delete all
remainingin>    that group** (be careful that the
group really is up-to-date, first)> - look with your file manager at
the file dates of the database files,>    then delete
out-of-date stocks>    - do this only with AmiBroker
*not* running>    - ONLY do this if you know your
tickers *very, very* well>    - alternatively, don't
delete the files, move them to a temp
drawer,>       then delete them later (if
you change your mind, you don't need
to>       rebuild the file, just up-date
it)>> I am sure there are more ways of doing this, but this
should be enough toget> you thinking about some very differentways
to get the job done. Justthink> >very seriously< as to
whether you really want to do it
automatically,though.>>> One subject that I still
have to work on is automatically deleting any> supporting files, such
as a profile, for a stock that we need toeliminate.>> ** I
still think it would be a good idea to be able to display only those>
stocks in a group, sector, industry or market.>> Please letme
know if this helps anyone out there.>>
-->>
---===///||| Donald Dalley
The World of AmiBroker