Re: [amibroker] Profile URL'S

Hi,

> I would like to change the profile url for my Canadian stocks,
> but the {t0}/{t} reads the ticker symbols as they are in the tree Eg:
> xxx.v for the cdnx or xxx.to for the tse, because thats the way they
> have to be imported from yahoo. The site(s) that i want to
> use requires the Exchange letter TO. V. to be at the front of the
> symbols. Is there a work around for this.

Here is an excerpt from AmiBroker 3.3 user's guide (Environment->Profile View):
"template URL can contain special fields which are substituted at run time by values corresponding to the currently selected stock.
The format of the special field is {x} where x is describes field type. Currently there are three allowable field types: ticker {t},
alias {a}, web id {i}. You can specify those fields anywhere within the URL and AmiBroker will replace them with appropriate values
entered in the Information window.

You can also reference to single characters of ticker, alias or web id. This is useful when given web site uses first characters of,
for example, ticker to group the html files (Yahoo Finance site does that), so you have files for tickers beginning with 'a' stored
in subdirectory 'a'. To reference to single character of the field use second format style {xn} where x is field type described
above and n is zero-based index of the character. So {a0} will evaluate to the first character of the alias string. To get first two
characters of a ticker write simply {t0}{t1}.

Note about web id field: this new field in Information window was added to handle situations when web sites do not use ticker names
for storing profile files. I found some sites that use their own numbering system so they assign unique number to each stock.
AmiBroker allows you to use this nonstandard coding for viewing profiles. All you have to do is to enter correct IDs in Web ID field
and use appropriate template URL with {i} keyword."

So you can use webID field in the stock information window for that purpose
and use {i} field in the template. Or you can use alias field and {a} in the template.
This of course requires putting appropriate symbols to those fields in stock information window.

> Also i need help with writing formulas to find stocks that are doing
> certain things, eg: stocks that are close to their 50day ma but
> haven't crossed yet etc. What type of research can i do to learn the
> basics for the AFL language.

Well, it depends on what you call "close". For example you may define it as 5% band around moving
average. Then appropriate AFL code will look like this:

upperband = 1.05 * ma( close, 50 );
lowerband = 0.95 * ma( close, 50 );

price_fall_below_upper_band = cross( upperband, close );
price_rises_above_lower_band = cross( close, lowerband );

price_is_between_upper_band_and_moving_average = close > ma( close, 50 ) AND close < upperband;
price_is_between_lower_band_and_moving_average = close < ma( close, 50 ) AND close > lowerband;

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko