[amibroker] Re: New program suggestions?

Hello, François-Xavier:

On 01-Sep-99, François-Xavier D'Hollander wrote:

> > I have started work on a new AmiBroker support program, called "Profile",
> > which links files to the current stock.

> I don't understand what you explain. Sorry.

Then I am the one who needs to apologize, since I failed to explain what I am
doing clearly enough. Please let me know, after reading this, if you are still
confused.

I am linking the current stock to one external text file which is relatedto
that stock. For example, if you want to store info (profiles = contact info;
incorporation date; dividend record dates, rates and yields; web address;
analysts' reports; 30 years of earnings, quarterly reports, news releases;
etc.) about a particular company, where are you going to store information
such as this, so that you can get to it quickly, easily? You can't store much
of it within AmiBroker's data files, nor should you.

So far, with one key stroke, "Profile" will instantly* display the current
stock's linked text in a scrollable window or as hypertext. One more click
breaks the link. If your AmiBroker databases are configured properly,
"Profile" can now figure out correctly which one of upto 5 text databases(for
example, your Paris, Tokyo, NYSE, Bahamas, whatever database) you may have, to
search for a profile.

(* = "instantly" is a relative term, for the Amiga. The quantity of files,
among other things, will greatly affect access speed.)

This is something I want; what about the rest of you?

To start, I'll be building three databases. I don't know what I will do if
anyone tracks more than 5 stock markets (we have 6 in Canada alone! [Toronto,
Montreal, Vancouver, Alberta, Winnipeg and the C.D.N.]); there is no firm
reason for AB to have this limitation (although, I do appreciate that 5 is a
bit better than one!).

We should also be able to name or number AB's market identifyers ourselves and
have as many as we want or need, since it is now possible to have an unlimited
number of stock "work spaces".

Tomasz?

For "Profile" to be useful, it will require some effort on the user's part, to
build the database of files properly; I have a rough idea as to how much
effort, but I think we can each judge for ourselves. A profile sure looks
better as hypertext, though. ;^)

You may (or may not) want to make a profile for each company in your database,
depending upon how many stocks you track, if you own them (or not), or ifyou
can even find the info in the first place.

> Have I understood you?

I don't think so. "Profile" has nothing to do with quotes, including getting
them.

--

The World of AmiBroker Support