[amibroker] Re: AREXX script for importing End-of-Day ASCII data?

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: AREXX script for importing End-of-Day ASCII data?
  • From: Donald Dalley <ddalley@xxxx>
  • Date: 5 Oct 1998 05:02:46 -0000

Hello, Terry:

On 03-Oct-98, you wrote:

> I was wondering whether anyone has written a generic AREXX script for
> ASCII import of end-of-day data. I am not an AREXX programmer, but it
> seems to me that it should not be too hard to write a script to import
> data of a format like:

> CODE,DATE,OPEN,HIGH,LOW,CLOSE,VOLUME

As you know, Terry, I am familiar with this subject. I just don't know how
*generic* I can go with any data format, since I have found quite a few
obstacles in every source.

The main obstacle has been that every single data source has had a
completely different format that would trip up a generic importer. If
common markers can't be found, then generic code won't work.

Most people will get an EOD source off the net. None of these sources
have been even remotely close enough to do a generic importer, so far.
The order is different, unlabeled or data fields are missing entirely. The
format has been known to change on me, too.

> the only format that I have been able to import so far has been

> $Name CODE
> $FORMAT DATE OPEN HIGH LOW CLOSE VOLUME

> with the stock code on a separate line. This is fine for historical data,
> but not so good for end-of-day data.

That is because the format is StockMaster's and that is what AmiBroker
still supports, along with MetaStock's binary format, now.

> This will probably be taken care of in future versions of AmiBroker, but
> in the meantime, we need to update our databases each day.

Don't count on it, unless Tomasz has a silver bullet that I am not aware of.

What have you found that can't be covered by the ASX importer I made
for you? If you give me a data source, I can see what can be done.

The World of AmiBroker Support
http://webhome.idirect.com/~ddalley
Member: ICOA and Team AMIGA