[amibroker] Re: AREXX script for importing End-of-Day ASCII data?

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: AREXX script for importing End-of-Day ASCII data?
  • From: Terry Chadban <terryc@xxxx>
  • Date: 6 Oct 1998 22:22:27 -0000

On 05-Oct-98, you wrote
about [amibroker] Re: AREXX script for importing End-of-Day ASCII data?:

>> I was wondering whether anyone has written a generic AREXX script for
>> ASCII import of end-of-day data. I am not an AREXX programmer, but it
>> seems to me that it should not be too hard to write a script to import
>> data of a format like:
>
>> CODE,DATE,OPEN,HIGH,LOW,CLOSE,VOLUME
>
> As you know, Terry, I am familiar with this subject. I just don't know
how
> *generic* I can go with any data format, since I have found quite a few
> obstacles in every source.
>
> The main obstacle has been that every single data source has had a
> completely different format that would trip up a generic importer. If
> common markers can't be found, then generic code won't work.
>
> Most people will get an EOD source off the net. None of these sources
> have been even remotely close enough to do a generic importer, so far.
> The order is different, unlabeled or data fields are missing entirely.
The
> format has been known to change on me, too.

I wasn't referring to an EOD source downloaded from the web. We BOTH know
the difficulties involved in writing a script to convert a web page into a
file that AmiBroker can import. What I was referring to was importing
CLEAN ASCII text into AmiBroker, either in the format described above, or
something similar. This shouldn't be all that hard, and should be a
standard feature of any technical analysis program.

>> This will probably be taken care of in future versions of AmiBroker,
but
>> in the meantime, we need to update our databases each day.
>
> Don't count on it, unless Tomasz has a silver bullet that I am not aware
of.

> What have you found that can't be covered by the ASX importer I made
> for you? If you give me a data source, I can see what can be done.

Because of all the problems that we have discussed privately with your
program and the available Australian sources, I am currently looking at
three different sources which sell EOD data in various ASCII formats,
either available as a single file download from their web site, or sent to
me as an email attachment each day. I have attached one as a sample, but
MOST data providers around the world will provide a similar service, and
usually have a variety of similar formats. But until AmiBroker imports
these ASCII formats directly, we still need some way of getting these EOD
data files into AmiBroker, which was the point of my message.

Bye for now,
Terry
--
Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

___
////
terryc@xxxx Australian Amigas do it #umop apisdn#
#Amiga# 2000/030/50,1+40+Retina 4mb \\\\///
Miami,V-NG,YAM2,MD-2,AmFTP,AmIRC \\\\/

ADZ	981006	2.620	2.630	2.610	2.630	41099	108	2.630	2.650
ANZ	981006	8.640	8.700	8.550	8.580	5571545	48054	8.590	8.590
BHP	981006	11.630	12.070	11.620	11.980	3142185	37563	11.960	12.000
BIL	981006	34.150	34.150	33.550	33.900	1447822	49086	33.860	33.900
NBH	981006	2.960	2.990	2.890	2.900	1831046	5416	2.920	2.930