Re: [amibroker] Survey: Japanese Candlesticks

  • To: Terry Chadban <amibroker@xxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Survey: Japanese Candlesticks
  • From: Donald Dalley <ddalley@xxxx>
  • Date: 20 Jul 1998 18:55:31 -0000

On 20-Jul-98, Terry Chadban wrote:

> I don't fully understand them at the moment, but I am trying to learn more
> about them - a brief explanation of candlesticks

OK, very briefly, Terry:

The coloured part of a candlestick is called the "real body".
The lines above/below the real body are the "wicks" or tails, etc.
Size is relative to the neighbouring candles.

- white bodies are rising prices (OPEN is low, CLOSE is high)
- black bodies are falling prices (OPEN is high, CLOSE is low)
- body size represents the strength of a move
- big bodies represent strength or conviction of bulls *or* bears
- small bodies represent weakness or indecision *between*
the bulls and bears
- tails indicate weakness in their direction
- windows (gaps, no overlapping prices) indicate strength of a move
- continuation of a trend re-inforces the trend
- reversals (including consolidation) break down a trend

Pattern recognition is a different aspect, so read one of the good books
I mentioned earlier.

The World of AmiBroker Support
http://webhome.idirect.com/~ddalley
ddalley@xxxx