RE: History Center cooperative purchase ends Oct 5

At 9:01 PM -0400 9/29/02, M. Simms wrote:

>But Colin, the software has problems.....
>what assurance do we have they will be fixed within the current licensing
>fee without additional charge ?
>
>Also, there is absolutely no confidence the Russians who support the
>software can really comprehend the communications espoused in this list
>about the current shortcomings with the product....
>this is really B A D.

Hard to let this pass without a comment.

My experience does not indicate this.

I have found the support to be great and have never been asked to pay
any additional fees, even including a custom version for a weird data
format.

I personally don't care if the provider of my software is Russian or
Martian or whatever, so long as it works - and this software works,
(which is more than you can say about a lot of American software
vendors...)

The only issue is that it does exactly what you set it up to do and
unless you are meticulous in getting the setup right, you have
problems and there are not a lot of error messages to help you find
your mistake.

Better documentation would help but this was not a major issue for
me since I tend to use the same "saved" setups all the time.

People do not realize how fussy TradeStation is about the OMZ format.
The symbol, exchange, and data source have to exactly match for many
symbols. But to make things more complicated, TradeStation has an
"invisible" translation facility to automatically translate symbols
from some data sources to others, TS4.0 symbols to TS2000i symbols,
including expired and unexpired symbols, etc., so it has this nasty
habit of doing some strange extra translation on the OMZ format
created by other tools. This make debugging a problem extremely
tedious.

It is amazing to me that HistoryCentre works as well as it does in
this crazy environment.

Bob Fulks