Re: Sorry to offend but I need to ask

Carroll,

>1) My ISP is Cox (cable) and they require that automatic DHCP
>configuration be enabled.  Although I have on occasion disabled
>it for short periods without trouble, my current IP address could
>at some time be changed or reassigned to another subscriber and,
>if that were to happen while I was attempting to use a static IP
>address, I would probably be unable to connect.  Is there some way
>to enable auto config on the cable side of Proxomitron?  Or some
>other solution?

Your IP address is irrelevant to Proxomitron.  All you are doing
is configuring your *browser* to send requests to 127.0.0.1 port
8080.  You are not doing anything to your network address settings.
Proxomitron looks like just another internet application to your PC.
Your operating system handles the network addressing issues, not the
browser or the proxy server.

DHCP or fixed IP, it doesn't matter, Proxomitron should still work
the same.  I used to use a similar proxy server (webwasher) back
when I had only dial-up access.  I *know* that my IP address was
randomly assigned.  It still worked fine.

>2) What piqued my interest in this thread was appearance on my screen of
>"alerts" from the messenger service with commercial solicitations, and I
>suspect that this activity is  NOT  making use of my browser or e-mail
>client but, rather, is using some other mechanism for coming in via TCP/IP.

For that you must disable the messenger service, or use a firewall
to block those alerts.  I have a hardware NAT firewall.  If I
didn't, then I would use Tiny Firewall for this.  Zone Alarm is OK
but last time I checked the traffic permissions (incoming versus
outgoing, ports, IP address ranges, and application names) weren't
as configurable as Tiny's.  Both are free.  Be aware that Microsoft
is aware of software firewalls, and they want you to have Messenger,
so I would not be surprised if Messenger gets around a software
firewall.

>If it is not using my browser, then would Proxomitron block it?  (I'm almost
>certain that it is not HTTP.)

Proxomitron wouldn't block it.  Proxomitron only acts as a relay
between your browser and the outside world.  It passes along
requests from your browser, and filters the data that comes back.
I find that it really cleans up web pages nicely; they are so much
more readable without all the ads.

-Alex