How to monitor serial port(loosing data)

I use BMI sat for my data feed and recently have started loosing data
sporatically.  It's most obvious on the 1 min E-mini charts, every now and
then a bar, sometimes two or three, will be missing.  The last time this
happened it turned out to be my Turbocom serial card.  I'm using the serial
port on the motherboard(Asus P2B) and I'll probably order a Byterunner card.
But I'd like to find a way to monitor the data flow before and after the
serial port to see if that's really where the problem lies.  Does anyone
know of a way to do this? I have the Turbocom software that gives a constant
readout of the data going through the port but that means I'd have to stare
at the readout for up to 30+ minutes looking for a short outage and still
wouldn't know if the problem was at the serial port or before it.

Any ideas or solutions?

John