Re: Geometric Capital Growth / Optimal-f

A lot of people missed the original thread on this subject several years
ago and Chuck's coin flipping example is being taken somewhat out of
context. The question at the time was what are the pluses and minuses of
reducing size during a drawdown. The plus (and it's a big one) is you
reduce your risk of total ruin. The minus is it takes you longer to
recover from a drawdown and your total profit over time is lower. If you
have a really good system, that never experiences the mother of all
drawdowns, you will come out ahead if you increase size, according to
the fixed fractional model, but never decrease size. Of course, we can
never count on our systems remaining good into the future so most of us
will elect to reduce size during a drawdown. We should do this knowing
there is a financial penalty.

Several people asked me privately to respond to Aaron's quite correct
statistical analysis below. It's accurate as far as it goes but I
believe it misses Chuck's point. We aren't asking about a hypothetical
future where it's possible to have 100% winners. Rather, let's look
backward at a series of trades that have already occurred. The question
now is would our account be bigger if we had reduced size during
drawdowns or if we had not. If you do the sims for a good system, the
answer is your account is bigger if you do not reduce size. The
difference between the two values is the "insurance premium" you pay to
give you some protection against going broke. Most of us, including me,
gladly pay that premium because survival is more important than
maximizing profits. However, as in most things, there is no free lunch
and there is a financial cost for our increased security.

--
  Dennis