Re[2]: Geometric Capital Growth / Optimal-f

Replying to your message of Sunday, August 25, 2002, 5:07:33 PM,

> Okay... but what, if any,  is the "practical" upshot of this if your primary
> trading vehicle is a portfolio of futures and you're a regular Joe with an
> account size of 100K or less? The hypothetical account size/growth achieved
> through Fixed Fractional or Fixed Ratio looks splendid on paper  ...but have
> you ever tried placing an order to trade 1.6 futures contracts -- because
> that's the current bet size/percentage your money management strategy calls
> for? It appears to me that to follow/utilize either a fixed fractional or
> fixed ratio approach your account size would have to be HUGE  ...like the
> ability to trade 10 - 100 contracts of every item in your portfolio,
> depending on how closely you intended to follow the bet size gradient. This
> just sounds like a statistical pissing match to me, unless your primary
> trading vehicle is stocks, or you're a professional CPO, CTA or Hedge Fund
> manager with a fair amount of money under management. Am I missing something
> here?

It isn't necessary to trade a huge account.  You need to take as
position size the floor (greatest integer number of contracts less
than or equal) of the size calculated by the position sizing method.
You use the floor, rather than rounding, to ensure that you never
exceed the estimated risk level you have established for yourself.
Testing needs to be done using methods that can really be implemented.
Since you can only trade an integer number of contracts, you do that.
Your equity grows a little slower because you traded 1 contract
when your position sizing method came out to 1.6.  If you manage
to keep equity growing you will reach the point where your position
sizing method tells you to trade 2.0 or 2.1 contracts and then you
start trading 2 contracts.  Etc.

Another issue related to hypothetical account size/growth is worth
commenting on.  The equity growth that is frequently shown when
position sizes increase with profits is absurd. Humor starts: At some
point in the march to trillion dollar account equity, you are going to
find out that trading liquidity dries up, causing slippage to increase
dramatically or requiring special methods for getting in and out of
positions.  Or perhaps you'll decide that you only need a few billion
so you won't continue trading at some point. Humor ends.  If you have
more realistic goals such as growing account equity at an achievable
rate and an acceptable level of risk, being able at some time to live
off your futures trading profits while continuing to (more slowly)
grow account equity, then testing methods of equity withdrawal in
order to understand how it impacts equity growth is worthwhile.

Paul Zislis