Re[2]: ....Optimization

Hello pastal,

If I had no hypothesis about parameters, 12 months of data (Jan thru
Dec), max of one
month at a time to "optimize" I'd approach it something like this:

--pick two months, say March and September, and optimize each.

--inspect the results to find a set a paramenters that perform well in
each time set.  I'd be more confident is the ones I chose were
accompanied by "nearby" values.  E.g.  say lengths between 30 and 35
consistently tested well in both time sets.  then maybe I'd pick 32 as
my hypothesized best parameter.

-- I'd run the same optimization (possibly tighter ranges) on five
other months interspersed thru the year and expect
to see 30-35 consistently be profitable.

--if so, you could "add" the system reports together to make a
composite performance report over the entire 12 months--if you need
it.

--if not profitable, I'd pick another parameter from my initial set,
and cross-validate with the last 5 months I've held out.  If I find
nothing, I'm on the next idea.

Best regards,
 Jim Johnson                           mailto:jejohn@xxxxxxxxxxx