Source code & equity curve results of zany new betsize algorithm

I found an interesting new betsize selection algorithm
(a/k/a "money management procedure") on the web.  It intrigued
me so I programmed it for backtesting software and tried it
out myself.  I wish there was an Omega Research backtesting
product that would let me run this test across a portfolio of
tradeables, all of them traded simultaneously out of the same
account, but presently there doesn't seem to be any.
So I used Trading Recipes instead.

Then I compared the new betsize algorithm to that old familiar
standby, fixed fractional.  Ran them both and plotted their
equity curves.

The source code I used, and the pair of plotted equity curves,
are at  <http://traderclub.com/discus/messages/18/1431.html>

 )
 ) By Chuck LeBeau on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 12:58 pm:
 )
 ) For what its worth, here is one of my favorite money management
 ) strategies. I think the easiest way for me to explain it is with
 ) an example.
 )
 ) We will assume that the starting equity is $100,000.
 )
 ) We will risk $2,000 on each trade until our equity is below $80,000.
 ) Once equity is below $80,000 we will risk $1500 per trade instead of
 ) $2,000. At the $60,000 level we will risk $1,000 per trade. We could
 ) continue to scale down these numbers as far as we want but this is
 ) enough here to get the idea.
 )
 ) As you can see this is very similar to a fixed fractional strategy
 ) risking 2% but I believe it is better. It is simpler and it allows
 ) for quicker recovery from drawdowns than a fixed fractional strategy
 ) because the position sizes are only reduced at threshold levels.
 ) At $90,000 we are still risking $2,000 instead of $1800.
 )
 ) Now on the positive side I like to think in terms of risking the base
 ) amount described above PLUS a higher percentage of the realized
 ) profits. (I think that Tharp sometimes refers to this as "markets
 ) money" but I disagree and prefer to think of all profits as "my money".)
 )
 ) Here is an example of how this strategy works when we are winning.
 ) Assume that we started with $100,000 and we were risking $2,000 per
 ) trade. Now we have $120,000. We would risk the original $2,000 PLUS 5%
 ) (or pick another percentage) of the $20,000 of profit. So now we are
 ) risking $3,000 per trade. At $130,000 we would risk $2,000 plus
 ) 5% of $30,000 for a total of $3500.
 )
 ) Once we have reached a high level of profit (let's say we are at
 ) $150,000 now) it is very important to scale back to the original
 ) strategy where we risked about 2%. At $150,000 I would say the basic
 ) account size is now $150,00 and we have no profits again. We will
 ) now risk $3,000 per trade plus 5% of any equity above $150,000.
 )
 ) We are trying to be conservative when losing and extremely aggressive
 ) when having winning streaks. But after each big winning streak we
 ) become conservative again. That way we won't get into trouble after
 ) big winning streaks.
 )
 ) I'm sure that many of you could take this basic idea and refine it and
 ) make it better. I just like to keep things simple and logical and I
 ) don't like the fixed fractional approach. I see no point in
 ) recalculating the amount risked after every trade when losing.
 ) The difference is usually not that great if you take small losses.
 ) In the method I am proposing you only need to recalculate once you
 ) reach a predetermined equity level (like $80,000).
 )
 ) Any comments? Are there flaws in the logic that I might have
 ) overlooked? Any suggetions to improve on this idea?
 )

Hope you enjoy them.

--
   Mark Johnson     Silicon Valley, California     mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx

   "... The world will little note, nor long remember, what we
    say here..."   -Abraham Lincoln, "The Gettysburg Address"