Re: still snags on TS4 install on Win2k

Following is originally from Dave Nadeau. At the bottom there is some notes
on the problem I had with Command prompt. May help ? I will post another
email with copies of threads from omega-list around the topic.

Regards
Jon

 DocumentID: 120
Last Updated on: 9/29/00

Security Block Problems
This document addresses the steps to trouble-shoot the following error
messages:
Security block not found
-OR-
Security block is missing
Users of Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition (ME) will use slightly
different steps. Please see the following link for Windows ME instructions.
Here are a number of items to check. Try each step in order and continue
only if the problem persists:
1. After installing, reboot the computer. Windows must be restarted after an
installation in order for any Version 4.0 or Version 1.2 application to work
properly.
2. Check that the Security Block is attached to the parallel port of the PC.
3. If there are any other devices attached to the block, try removing them.
4. If there is a printer attached, try starting the Data Server with the
following combinations:
a. Printer attached to the block, turned on.
b. Printer attached to the block, turned off.
c. Printer not attached to the block.
5. If there is no printer or the combinations in step 3 do not work, check
the speed settings of the block. This requires running the SSIACT speed
measurement utility in DOS. Note to AMD K6 users: This utility may report an
incorrect setting. Please skip to step h. and use the setting 2,2,50.
a. Select the Start | Programs | MS-DOS Prompt menu sequence.
b. The DOS prompt should be running in full screen mode. This means the
monitor screen will be completely black, with DOS text in white. No other
"windows" should be seen with exception of the DOS screen. If this is not
the case, change to full screen mode by clicking on the Properties icon on
the menu bar. Select the Screen tab and select Full Screen Mode. Click OK.
c. At the prompt type CD C:\OMEGA\PROG\DRIVERS\NT <Enter>.
d. At the prompt (C:\OMEGA\PROG\DRIVERS\NT>) type SSIACT <Enter>. This will
start the Speed Measurement Utility.
e. At the "Hit enter when ready" message, make sure the security block is
attached properly and then hit <Enter>.
f. The test will begin followed by "MEASURING". If the message ACTIVATOR NOT
FOUND appears please call our Customer Support department. Otherwise, a
message will appear stating, "The optimal parameters for this computer is
SET SSI_ACT=" followed by series of numbers. Copy down the series of
numbers.
g. At the prompt (C:\OMEGA\PROG\DRIVERS\NT>) type EXIT. This will return to
the WINDOWS environment.
h. To use the new parameters:
 i. Click the Start | Run menu sequence.
 ii. At the Open: edit box type SYSEDIT and click OK. This will bring up the
System Configuration Editor.
 iii. Select the Window | AUTOEXEC.BAT menu sequence.
 iv. Scroll down to the line: SET SSI_ACT=10,10,10 (10,10,10 is the default
setting). Change 10,10,10 to the series of numbers from the test in DOS
(Results of step f).
 v. Click the File | Save menu sequence.
 vi. Click File | Exit.
 i. Reboot and restart the Data Server
6. The SYSTEM.INI file, [386Enh] section should contain the line
DEVICE=SSIACT.386
a. Click the Start | Run menu sequence.
b. At the Open: edit box type SYSEDIT and click OK. This will bring up the
System Configuration Editor.
c. Select the Window | SYSTEM.INI menu sequence.
d. Scroll down to the line that reads [386Enh]. Check until the next blank
line for a line that begins device=ssiact.386. There should NOT be a
semicolon (;) in front of the line. If the line does not exist, add it
immediately under the [386Enh] line.
e. Click the File | Save menu sequence.
f. Click File | Exit.
7. If the Security Block is on an LPT port other than LPT1, the SYSTEM.INI
file, [386Enh] section must contain the following line:
a. Click the Start | Run menu sequence.
b. At the Open: edit box type SYSEDIT and click OK. This will bring up the
System Configuration Editor.
c. Select the Window | SYSTEM.INI menu sequence.
d. Scroll down to the line that reads [386Enh]. Check until the next blank
line for a line that reads SSI_LPT=n (where n=1,2,3) depending what port the
block is on. There should NOT be a semicolon (;) in front of the line. If
the line does not exist, add it immediately under the [386Enh] line.
e. Click the File | Save menu sequence.
f. Click File | Exit.
8. Delete the *.CRI files from the OMEGA subdirectories
a. Click the Start | Find | Files or Folders menu sequence.
b. In the Named: edit box, type in *.CRI
c. In the Look In: edit box, type in C:\OMEGA
d. Make sure there is a check in the Include Subfolders checkbox and click
the Find Now button.
e. One or more files should be found. Click on Edit | Select All, then File
| Delete. Confirm deletion to the Recycle Bin and close the Find window.
9. If these steps are unsuccessful, you will need to change the BIOS
settings in your computers setup utility. If you have never edited the BIOS
settings, please refer to your computer's documentation or ask a qualified
technician to help you make changes. The computer will usually display a
message when booting that will explain how to enter the computer's setup
utility. Once you have entered the setup utility, navigate to the section
where you will be able to edit the Parallel port settings. In the BIOS, you
will need to change the settings for the Parallel port to use ECP mode and
Enabled if applicable. Once the mode for the parallel port has been changed,
try to access the program again. If the security block message is still
displayed, it will be necessary to try each different mode setting for the
Parallel port to find a combination that will work properly. The Parallel
port may be setup to use Bi-Directional and Auto or OS Controlled. These
settings will usually not allow the security block to function.

DocumentID: 10
Last Updated on: 10/12/98

Security Block Problems with Windows NT (Also OS/2 and PS/2 machines)
Security Block Access Using Windows NT
 The directory X:\Omega\Prog\Drivers\NT, where X is the drive where the
Omega Research product was installed, contains the drivers necessary for
accessing the Activator(/M)or Aegis(/M) under Windows NT.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
In order to make the following changes, Windows NT MUST be started with an
account with ADMINISTRATIVE privileges.
**********************
For native NT applications, only the physical device driver (SSIPDDP.SYS) is
needed. For DOS and Windows applications running in a compatibility box
under NT, both the physical and virtual device drivers are necessary. See
REGISTRY.DOC on how these files should be installed.
There are 2 additional programs, SSIREGI.EXE and SSIREGM.EXE, which will
automatically install/modify the SSIPDDP driver into NT's Registry database.
Refer to the REGISTRY.DOC for details on how the programs are used, and what
directories the files should be copied to.
** IMPORTANT NOTE **
The virtual device driver needs the physical device driver to operate. On
some computers (if you run NT 3.5 or later version), the physical drivers
are loaded continuously, but the user may log on before all of them are
loaded.
In this case, during the log on process, the virtual device driver may be
loaded BEFORE NT has finished loading the physical (SSIPDDP.SYS) driver, and
the user gets the message:
"SSIVDDP Error: SSIPDDP.SYS device driver not loaded"
If you encounter this during the first log on or after a boot, don't panic:
Either log out and log in again, or wait longer (approximately one minute)
when the log on message appears before logging in.
To enable DOS and Windows programs to check the ACTIVATOR under Windows NT
put the Virtual device driver into \winnt\SYSTEM32 directory and the DOS and
Physical device drivers into \winnt\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS:
COPY SSIVDDP.DLL C:\winnt\SYSTEM32\SSIVDDP.DLL
COPY SSIDDDP.SYS C:\winnt\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\SSIDDDP.SYS
COPY SSIPDDP.SYS C:\winnt\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\SSIPDDP.SYS
To load the Virtual Device Driver for ACTIVATOR, you have to add
DEVICE=%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\SSIDDDP.SYS
to the CONFIG.NT file in Windows NT \winnt\SYSTEM32 directory.
With the programs SSIREGI.EXE and SSIREGM.EXE you can automatically
install/modify the SSIPDDP driver into NT's Registry database.
To install, simply run the command
SSIREGI install
After installing into Registry (and copying the SSIPDDP.SYS into the
directory \WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS) you have to reboot Windows NT.
If the security device is attached to LPT1, no modification is necessary. If
another port is used, modify the registry with the command
SSIREGM LPTPort=n
where n=1-9 is the port#. Probably you don't need to modify the virtual port
address (for DOS and Win16 programs), but if you wish, you may change with
the command
SSIREGM VPort=hhhh
where hhhh is 4-digit hexadecimal port address (use 1000-3FF8). If your
computer is too fast and (in DOS mode) need delay adjustment with the
SSI_ACT environment variable, you have to do the same in the registry with
the command
SSIREGM SSI_ACT=n,n,n
In case you are using a very old ACTIVATOR/M, you have to modify the
registry in order to correctly write the old device. Use the command
SSIREGM SSI_MEM=OLD
If you make any modification in the registry, you have to reboot NT in order
to use the new setting.
If you want to completely remove the driver, run the command
SSIREGI remove
(If the driver is in use, the Registry key will be deleted only next boot
time.) If you used the virtual device driver, don't forget to remove the
line DEVICE=SSIDDDP.SYS from the CONFIG.NT file. Alternatively, you may
modify the Registry manually (using REGEDT32.EXE) to add the device driver.
Go into the hive
\Registry\HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
and create a new key "SSIPDDP". Add the following values:
ErrorControl = REG_DWORD 0x00000001
Group = REG_SZ Extended Base
Start = REG_DWORD 0x00000002
Type = REG_DWORD 0x00000001
Create (inside SSIPDDP) a subkey "Parameters" and inside this subkey
add the following values:
LPTPort = REG_DWORD 1
VPort = REG_DWORD 0x3078
(If you want to use different LPT port, set the 1st value to 2 or 3, for
different virtual port address, the value must be >0x1000 and the last hexa
digit must be 0, 4, 8 or C)
You also may add the values SSI_ACT=n,n,n and SSI_MEM=OLD in the
"Parameters" subkey.
 With the programs SSIREGI.EXE and SSIREGM.EXE you can automatically
install/modify the SSIPDDP driver into NT's Registry database. To install,
[...]

Dave

finally got it right.
(MS-DOS has now been renamed COMMAND PROMPT in w2000.)
typed the following in and all went smoothly;

C:\> \OMEGA\
C:\OMEGA>CD PROG\
C:\OMEGA\PROG>CD DRIVERS\NT\
C:\OMEGA\PROG\DRIVERS\NT>SSIREGI install
CreateService SUCCESS

C:\OMEGA\PROG\DRIVERS\NT>

then I rebooted and the security block allowed opening of server and
charting.

Thankyou very much for your help. After having spent hours trying various
combinations of the Omega Knowledge base string and getting "not a valid
path" your suggestion of altering the string led to the 'fix' above. The
space after "CD" is definitely required. Why Omega cannot publish this
correctly, one will never know!

Regards and thanks again
Jon