Re: Off Topic: Internet history kill software

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002, Nate Turrin wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> In the past month Iv'e had a couple of experiences
> that have me thinking about installing some type of
> history kill software.
>
> Most of these history kill software products are
> marketed towards those who don't want others to see
> the little dirty pictures they've been looking at, and
> seem kind of cheesy. But, largely because of the
> incident described below, Iv'e begun to see the
> utility of this type of software even for those who
> are not total wankers.
>
> I had been considering asking my girlfriend to marry
> me and, knowing nothing about diamonds, did a yahoo
> search for "diamonds" - "engagement rings" - etc. I
> erased my cookies in an attempt to cover my tracks
> but, sure enough, the next time she was on the
> computer doing a search for something that started
> with the letter "D" the yahoo search engine dropped
> down a list of previously searched for subject matter
> with the same first letter. She jokingly confronted me
> about it and I tried to pretend like it was a "no big
> deal", but I honestly feel like the element of
> surprise has been mostly lost. All because of this
> stupid drop down window that is attempting to make my
> life easier by keeping a file of every God blessed
> thing I have ever done a search on.
>
> Does anyone know how the Yahoo site "remembers" your
> previous searches despite the fact that the cookies
> have been erased? Does anyone know how to erase this
> information? Also, any recomendations on a good
> history kill software product would be much
> appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Nate

Are you talking about the drop down window in the browser?
That window is local to your computer and it is the browser,
micro$oft, that is helping you and not yahoo. Under
Tools->Internet Options there is a button to clear your
history and to set that history to not keep anything
beyond '0' days.

I also turn my caching off, or if I have the option I set
caching in memory large and caching to disk at 0.

Mike