Waaaay OFF TOPIC: German Internet start-ups/business plan

Please believe me when I say that I would not bother this list if I
hadn't exhausted ALL of the other resources at my disposal. I am
translating a German text, and I'm stumped by the meaning of a certain
word. If you know about business plans, start-ups and such, I'd be much
obliged . . .

Here's the context. The first sentence in paragraph 2 is where I'm
stuck. Begins and ends
with  **.

"In the capital markets this orientation crystallizes around the
so-called business plan. Not that such business plans are primarily
intended to serve as guidelines for developing a thriving business.
Rather, the object is to signal investors that one is both willing and
capable of such rapid growth and such successful internationalization
that one will assume a leadership position in the global market within
the foreseeable future. This becomes evident when one considers that the
focus was exclusively on sales and no longer on net earnings.

**In the meantime a special service industry has sprung up which focuses
on preparing and . . . (here's where the German word "begleiten" is
used. Literally it translates as "to accompany") . . . business plans
which are geared to the capital market.** In the euphoric phase of the
New Market consultants offered – in return for five figure sums – to
write business plans for fledgling internet firms which would enable
them to attract millions of marks in venture capital. Start-up
competitions like the one sponsored by the Sparkasse, McKinsey
Consulting and Stern magazine further fuelled these primarily capital
market-driven approaches."

Danke im voraus ("thanks in advance"). Please contact me privately.
Philip